Long-term instructional development: A 20-year ID and implementation project
- 53 Downloads
This article describes the development and implementation in the schools over a 20-year period of the Energy Source Program, a comprehensive K-12 energy education curriculum. The program was developed beginning in 1980 using state-of-the-art development procedures for that time and has been used to date by more than 12 million American students to learn about energy and energy issues. End-of-unit posttest scores for the elementary and high school units averaged above 80% for their field tests. Data obtained from a large sample during the first three years of installation of the program in the schools indicated that posttest scores remained at a level during installation similar to that during the field-test phase. A study conducted in the early 1990s by an independent research organization to assess the program's long-term effects revealed that grade 6 students who had used one or more units from the program had significantly greater energy knowledge and better energy conservation habits than students who had not used any units. A set of 10 guidelines are offered for long-term instructional development and implementation projects.
KeywordsHigh School Field Test Energy Conservation Educational Technology Research Organization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bloom, B.S., Englehardt, M.D., Faust, E.J., Hill, W.H., & Krathwohl, D.R. (1956).Taxonomy of educational objectives: Handbook I, the cognitive domain. New York: Longmans-Green.Google Scholar
- Dick, W., & Carey, L. (1978).The systematic design of instruction. Glenville, IL: Scott-Foresman.Google Scholar
- Duffy, T., & Cunningham, D. (1996). Constructivism: Implications for the design and delivery of instruction. In D. Jonassen (Ed.)Handbook of Research for Educational Communications and Technology, (pp. 170–198). New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Energy: Knowledge and attitudes. (1978). Denver: National Assessment of Educational Progress, Education Commission of the States.Google Scholar
- Hanson, R.A. (1993). Long-term effects of the Energy Source Education Program.Studies in Educational Evaluation, 19(4), 363–382.Google Scholar
- Monthly Energy Review. (1983, December). U.S. city average retail price for motor gasoline,2, 88.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, H. (1971). Developing effective objectives-based instruction.Educational Technology, XI(7), 55–57.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, H. (1984). Instructional development through a national industry-educational partnership.Journal of Instructional Development, 7(4), 17–22.Google Scholar