Did the EMS encourage inflation convergence?
- 40 Downloads
This paper studies the convergence of inflation rates over the period of 1983–93 for some countries within the European Monetary System. Three different price indices are considered for consumer goods, services, and industrial products. This study focuses on the difference between core and peripheral countries for measuring convergence speed. By using β- and σ-convergence tools, as previously identified in studies on output growth convergence, it was found that the convergence process did not evolve equally whether considered through price indices, time, or countries.
KeywordsEconomic Growth Industrial Product International Economic Price Index Inflation Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alderton, R. “Did the Underlying Behavior of Inflation Change in the 1980s? A Study of 17 Countries,”Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv, 133, 1, 1997, pp. 22–38.Google Scholar
- Bernard, A.; Durlauff, S. “Convergence in International Output,”Journal of Applied Econometrics, 10, 1995, pp. 97–108.Google Scholar
- Canzoneri, M.; Diba, B.; Endey, G. “Productivity and Inflation: Implications for the Maastrict Convergence Criteria and for Inflation Targets After EMU,” in Banco de España ed.,Economic Bulletin, Madrid, Banco de España, April, 1996.Google Scholar
- De Grauwe, P. “Inflation Convergence During the Transition to EMU,”Economies et Societes, 26, 9–10, 1992, pp. 13–32.Google Scholar
- Dornbusch, R. “Two-Track E. M. U. Now,” in Karl Otto Pohl et al. ed.,Britain and EMU, London: Centre for Economic Performance, LSE, 1992.Google Scholar
- Hall, S.; Robertson, D.; Wickens, M. “Measuring Convergence of the EC Economies,”The Manchester School LX, Supplement, 1992, pp. 99–111.Google Scholar
- Lambertini, L.; Miller, M.; Sutherland, A. “Inflation Convergence with Realignments in a Two-Speed Europe,”The Economic Journal, 102, 411, 1992, pp. 333–41.Google Scholar
- Marriot, F.; Pope, J. “Bias in the Estimation of Autocorrelations,”Biometrika, 41, 1954, pp. 390–402.Google Scholar
- Symons, J.Econometric Issues in Convergence Regressions, mimeo, London: University College London, 1995.Google Scholar