Contributions to factor analysis of dichotomous variables
- 666 Downloads
A new method is proposed for the factor analysis of dichotomous variables. Similar to the method of Christoffersson this uses information from the first and second order proportions to fit a multiple factor model. Through a transformation into a new set of sample characteristics, the estimation is considerably simplified. A generalized least-squares estimator is proposed, which asymptotically is as efficient as the corresponding estimator of Christoffersson, but which demands less computing time.
Key wordsmultiple factor model first and second order proportions generalized least-squares tetrachoric correlations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gruvaeus, G. T. & Jöreskog, K. G.A computer program for minimizing a function of several variables (Res. Bull. 70-14). Princeton, N. J.: Educational Testing Service, 1970.Google Scholar
- Muthen, B. & Dahlqvist, B.FADIC. Factor analysis of dichotomous variables. A Fortran IV computer program in preparation, 1978.Google Scholar
- Bock, R. D. & Lieberman, M. Fitting a response model forn dichotomously scored items.Psychometrika, 1970,35, 179–197.Google Scholar
- Christoffersson, A. Factor analysis of dichotomized variables.Psychometrika, 1975,40, 5–32.Google Scholar
- Cramér, H.Mathematical methods of statistics. Princeton, N. J.: Princeton University Press, 1946.Google Scholar
- Fletcher, R. & Powell, M. J. D. A rapidly convergent descent method for minimization.The Computer Journal, 1963,6, 163–168.Google Scholar
- Jöreskog, K. G. Factor analysis by least squares and maximum likelihood methods. In K. Enslein, Ralston, K. A. & Wilf, M.S. (Eds.),Statistical methods for digital computers, N. Y.: Wiley, 1977.Google Scholar
- Kirk, D. B. On the numerical approximation of the bivariate normal (tetrachoric) correlation coefficient.Psychometrika, 1973,38, 259–268.Google Scholar
- Lord, F. & Novick, H.Statistical theories of mental test scores. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1968.Google Scholar
- Rotter, J. B. Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement.Psychological Monographs, 1966,80, (Whole Number 609).Google Scholar