A note on Lawley's formulas for standard errors in maximum likelihood factor analysis
- 88 Downloads
Evidence is given to indicate that Lawley's formulas for the standard errors of maximum likelihood loading estimates do not produce exact asymptotic results. A small modification is derived which appears to eliminate this difficulty.
KeywordsStandard Error Public Policy Statistical Theory Asymptotic Result Small Modification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Archer, C. O. & Jennrich, R. I. Standard errors for rotated factor loadings.Psychometrika, 1973,38, 581–592.Google Scholar
- Jennrich, R. I. Standard errors for obliquely rotated factor loadings.Psychometrika, 1973a,38, 593–604.Google Scholar
- Jennrich, R. I. Simplified formulas for standard errors in maximum likelihood factor analysis. Research Bulletin 73-40. Princeton, N. J.: Educational Testing Service, 1973b.Google Scholar
- Lawley, D. N. A modified method of estimation in factor analysis and some large sample results.Uppsala Symposium on Psychological Factor Analysis. Nordisk Psykologi's Monograph Series No. 3. Stockholm: Almqvist and Wiksell, 1953. Pp. 35–42.Google Scholar
- Lawley, D. N. Some new results in maximum likelihood factor analysis.Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1967,A67, 256–264.Google Scholar
- Lawley, D. N. & Maxwell, A. E.Factor analysis as a statistical method. New York: American Elsevier, 1971.Google Scholar