The occurrence of an increase in correlation by restriction of range
- 96 Downloads
Given three variables,x, y, z, univariate selection onx, usually reduces the correlationr y z . However, in some cases, whenr x y orr x z assumes extreme values,r y z may increase. This reversal is explained by comparison to the effects of suppressor variables and predictors of predictability.
KeywordsPublic Policy Statistical Theory Suppressor Variable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ghiselli, E. E., Differentiation of tests in terms of the accuracy with which they predict for a given individual.Educational and Psychological Measurement, 1960,20, 675–684.Google Scholar
- Guilford, J. P.,Fundamental statistics in psychology and education. New York: McGraw Hill, 1956.Google Scholar
- Gulliksen, H.,Theory of mental tests. New York: Wiley, 1950.Google Scholar
- Lord, F. M. & Novick, R. M.Statistical theories of mental test scores. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley, 1968.Google Scholar
- Thorndike, R. L.,Personnel selection. New York: Wiley, 1949.Google Scholar