The relation between sample and population characteristic vectors
Data are reported which show the statistical relation between the sample and population characteristic vectors of correlation matrices with squared multiple correlations as communality estimates. Sampling fluctuations were found to relate only to differences in the square roots of characteristic roots and to sample size. A principle for determining the number of factors to rotate and interpret after rotation is suggested.
KeywordsPublic Policy Characteristic Vector Statistical Theory Statistical Relation Correlation Matrice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Birkhoff, G. & MacLane, S.A brief survey of modern algebra. Rev. ed. New York: Macmillan, 1953.Google Scholar
- Browne, M. W. A comparison of factor analytic techniques.Psychometrika, 1968,33, 267–334.Google Scholar
- Cliff, N. & Hamburger, C. D. The study of sampling errors in factor analysis by means of artificial experiments.Psychological Bulletin, 1967,68, 430–445.Google Scholar
- Cliff, N. & Pennell, R. The influence of communality, factor strength, and loading size on the sampling characteristics of factor loading.Psychometrika, 1967,32, 309–326.Google Scholar
- Harris, C. W. Some Rao-Guttman relationships.Psychometrika, 1962,27, 247–263.Google Scholar
- Harris, C. W. On factors and factor scores.Psychometrika, 1967,32, 363–379.Google Scholar
- Jöreskog, K. G.Statistical estimation in factor analysis. Stockholm: Almquist and Wiksell, 1963.Google Scholar
- Kendall, M. G. & Stuart, A.The advanced theory of statistics. Vol. 2. London: Charles Griffin, 1961.Google Scholar
- Kendall, M. G. & Stuart, A.The advanced theory of statistics. (2nd Ed.) Vol. 1. London: Charles Griffin, 1963.Google Scholar
- Pennell, R. J. & Young, F. W. An IBM 7094 program for generating random factor matrices.Behavioral Science, 1967,12, 165–166.Google Scholar
- Pennell, R. J. The effect of communality and N on the sampling distributions of factor loadings.Psychometrika, 1968,33, 423–440.Google Scholar
- Tucker, L. R. A method for synthesis of factor studies. Personnel Research Section Report No. 984, 1951, Department of the Army (mimeo.).Google Scholar