Statistical evaluation of the validity of a method for characterizing stationary phases for reversed-phase liquid chromatography based on retention of homologous series
The validity of a method for characterizing stationary phases for reversed-phase, liquid chromatography, based on the use of homologous series, has been evaluated. The method is based on a retention model which describes the dependence of the logarithm of the capacity factor on mobile phase composition and the carbon number of specific homologous series. A first-order as well as a second-order version of this model was investigated. The second-order model proved to be a significant improvement on the first-order model, even for smaller mobile-phase ranges. Nevertheless both models showed a significant lack of fit, reflecting the incompleteness of these models. Therefore, it is very questionable whether this method is suitable to describe HPLC-column characteristics like hydrophobicity and hydrophylicity.
Key WordsColumn liquid chromatography Characterization of reversed phases Column hydrophobicity Column hydrophylicity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Jandera, Chromatographia19, 101 (1984).Google Scholar
- P. Jandera, J. Chromatogr.314, 13 (1984).Google Scholar
- P. Jandera, J. Chromatogr.352, 91 (1986).Google Scholar
- E. Bayer, K. Albert, J. Reiners, M. Nieder, D. Müller, J. Chromatogr.264, 197 (1983).Google Scholar
- H. A. Claessens, J. W. de Haan, L. J. M. van de Ven, P. C. de Bruijn, C. A. Cramers, J. Chromatogr.436, 345 (1988).Google Scholar
- D. C. Leach, M. A. Stadalius, J. C. Berus, LG-GC6, 494 (1988).Google Scholar
- M. J. J. Hetem, “A Fundamental Study of Chemically Modified Silica Surfaces in Chromatography”, Ph.D. Thesis, Eindhoven, University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands (1990).Google Scholar
- J. H. Park, M. D. Jang, D. S. Kim, P. W. Carr, J. Chromatogr.513, 107 (1990).Google Scholar
- N. Sadlej-Sosnowska, I. Sledzinska, J. Chromatogr.595, 53 (1992).Google Scholar
- D. L. Massart, B. G. M. Vandeginste, S. N. Deming, Y. Michotte, L. Kaufmann, “Chemometrics: A Textbook”, Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (1988).Google Scholar
- S. V. Deming, in “Chemometrics, Mathematics and Statistics in Chemistry”, B. R. Kowalski, Ed., NATO AST Series C, Vol. 138, Dordrecht, The Netherlands (1984).Google Scholar
- M. A. Sharaf, D. L. Illman, B. R. Kowalski, “Chemometrics”, Vol. 82, John Wiley & Sons, New York (1986).Google Scholar