Transport mechanism of suspended matter above the shelf slope at the mouth of Tokyo Bay
- 38 Downloads
Transport mechanism of suspended matter above the shelf slope is investigated with the use of the moorings of time-series sediment trap, current meter and nephelometer at three stations at the mouth of Tokyo Bay, Japan during 21 to 25 August 1993. Tidal pump mechanism is effective for the transport of suspended matter at the shelf edge, but the boring-like flood tidal current resuspends the settled suspended matter, on the bottom of shelf slope and the resuspended matter is resulted to be moved upslope in one tidal cycle at 10 m above the bottom of shelf slope.
KeywordsJapan Transport Mechanism Tidal Cycle Suspended Matter Sediment Trap
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baines, P. G. (1983) Tidal motion in submarine canyons — A laboratory experiment.J. Phys. Oceanogr.,13, 310–328.Google Scholar
- Cacchione, D. and C. Wunsch (1974) Experimental study of internal waves over a slope.J. Fluid Mech.,66, 223–239.Google Scholar
- Cacchione, D. A. and D. E. Drake (1986) Nepheloid layers and internal waves over continental shelves and slopes.Geo-Marine Lett.,6, 147–152.Google Scholar
- Gardner, W. D. (1989) Periodic resuspension in Baltimore canyon by focusing of internal waves.J. Geophys. Res.,94, 18,185–18,194.Google Scholar
- Ishimaru, T., H. Otobe, T. Saino, H. Hasumoto and T. Nakai (1984) OCTOPUS, an octo parameter underwater sensor, for use in biological oceanography studies.J. Oceanogr. Soc. Japan,40, 207–212.Google Scholar
- Monaco, A., P. Biscaye, J. Soyer, R. Pocklington and S. Heussner (1990) Particle fluxes and ecosystem response on a continental margin: the 1985–1988 Mediterranean ECOMARGE experiment.Cont. ShelfRes.,10, 809–839.Google Scholar
- Walsh, J. J., P. E. Biscaye and G. T. Csanady, (1988) The 1983–1984 shelf exchange Processes (SEEP)-I experiment: hypotheses and highlights.Cont. Shelf Res.,8, 435–456.Google Scholar
- Yanagi, T. (1990), Suspended matter and material transport.Bull. Coast. Oceanogr.,28, 1–7 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Yanagi, T., M. Shimizu, T. Saino and T. Ishimaru (1992) Tidal pump at the shelf edge.J. Oceanogr.,48, 13–21.Google Scholar
- Yanagi, T., T. Saino, T. Ishimaru and S. Uye (1993) A carbon budget in Tokyo Bay.J. Oceanogr.,49, 249–256.Google Scholar