Needle biopsy of the liver
- 13 Downloads
The value of liver biopsy depends first, on adequate tissue for the pathologist to examine and second, on the astuteness of the pathologist. Minor changes in the microscopic picture can make a great difference in the diagnosis. The value of our biopsies has increased as our pathologists have had more experience with them. A pathologist experienced in interpretation of specimens of needle biopsies of the liver is essential to successful diagnosis.
Using the subcostal approach in patients with palpable livers, and the thoracic or intracostal approach in those whose livers were not experienced in interpretation of specimens of needle biopsies of the liver is essential to successful diagnosis.
KeywordsPublic Health Liver Biopsy Needle Biopsy Microscopic Picture Adequate Tissue
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Stanley. Cited by Davis, W. D., Scott, R. W., and Lund, H. Z. Needle biopsy of the liver.Am. J. M. Sc. 212:449, 1946.Google Scholar
- 2.Lucatello. Cited by Iversen and Roholm.3 Google Scholar
- 3.Iversen, P., andRoholm, K. On aspiration biopsy of liver, with remarks on its diagnostic significance.Acta. med. Scandinav. 102:1, 1939.Google Scholar
- 4.Rossmiller, H. R., Brown, C. H., andWhitman, J. F. Needle biopsy of the liver.Cleveland Clin. Quart. 17, 64:73, 1950.Google Scholar
- 5.Brown, C. H. Biopsy of the liver with the Vim-Silverman needles.Mississippi Valley M. J. 81:198, 1959.Google Scholar
- 6.Menghini, G. One second needle biopsy of the liver.Gastroenterology 35:190, 1958.Google Scholar
- 7.Brown, C. H., andMerlo, M. Fatty infiltration in the liver—response to treatment.Cleveland Clin. Quart. 26:153, 1959.Google Scholar
- 8.Battaglia, P. S., McCormack, L. J., andBrown, C. H. Needle biopsy of the liver in malignant hepatic disease.Am. J. Gastroenterol. 34:397–401, 1960; abstract inGastroenterology 38:801, 1960.Google Scholar
- 9.Gebhart, W. F., Van Ommen, R. A., McCormack, L. J., andBrown, C. H. Chlorpromazine jaundice.A. M. A. Arch. Int. Med. 101:1085–1093, 1958.Google Scholar
- 10.Van Ommen, R. A., andBrown, C. H. Obstructive-type jaundice due to chlorpromazine (Thorazine).J.A.M.A. 157:321, 1955.Google Scholar
- 11.Brown, C. H., andChoisser, R. V. Obstructive biliary cirrhosis with ascites.Cleveland Clin. Quart. 18:251, 1950.Google Scholar
- 12.Schiff, L. Personal communication.Google Scholar
- 13.Gilman, T., andGilman, J. Modified liver aspiration biopsy apparatus and technique, with special reference to its clinical application as assessed by 500 biopsies.South African J. Med. Sc. 10:53, June 1945.Google Scholar