“Absent” pulmonary valve with atrial septal defect and patent ductus arteriosus
The case of a newborn with “absent pulmonary valve,” atrial septal defect, and patent ductus arteriosus is reported. He underwent surgical repair at five weeks of age, with closure of the patent ductus arteriosus and porcine pulmonary valve insertion. The clinical course leads us to suggest that reduction of pulmonary artery pressure and pulmonary valve competence will lead to prompt improvement in tracheobronchial compression and respiratory symptoms; no pulmonary arterioplasty is needed.
Key wordsAbsent pulmonary valve Prosthetic valve Arterioplasty
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arensman FW, Francis PD, Helmsworth JA, Kaplan S, Benzing G, Schreiber JT, Schwartz DC (1982) Early medical and surgical intervention for tetralogy of Fallot with absence of pulmonic valve.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 84:430–436Google Scholar
- 2.Chiemmongkoltip P, Replogle RL, Gonzalez-Lavin L, Arcila RA (1972) Congenital absence of the pulmonary valve with atrial septal defect surgically corrected with aortic homograft.Chest 62:100–103Google Scholar
- 3.Cornel G, Colokathis B, Subramanian S (1971) Heterograft valve implant in tetralogy with absent pulmonary valve.Ann Thorac Surg 11:51–56Google Scholar
- 4.Dunnigan A, Oldham HN, Benson DW Jr (1981) Absent pulmonary valve syndrome in infancy: surgery reconsidered.Am J Cardiol 48:117–122Google Scholar
- 5.Emmanouilides GC, Baylen G (1983) Congenital absence of the pulmonary valve. In: Adams FH, Emmanouilides GC (eds)Moss' heart disease in infants, children and adolescents. Baltimore, Williams and Wilkens, pp 228–234Google Scholar
- 6.Ito T, Engle MA, Holswade GR (1961) Congenital insufficiency of the pulmonic valve: a rare cause of neonatal heart failure.Pediatrics 28:712–718Google Scholar
- 7.Kirklin JW, Blackstone EH, Pacifico AD, Brown RN, Bargeron LM (1979) Routine primary repair vs two-stage repair of tetralogy of Fallot.Circulation 60:373–386Google Scholar
- 8.Misbach GA, Turley R, Ebert PA (1983) Pulmonary valve replacement for regurgitation after repair of tetralogy of Fallot.Ann Thorac Surg 36:684–691Google Scholar
- 9.Pinsky WW, Nihill MR, Mullins CE, Harrison G, McNamara DG (1978) The absent pulmonary valve syndrome: considerations of management.Circulation 57:159–162Google Scholar
- 10.Smith RD, Du Shane JW, Edwards JE (1959) Congenital insufficiency of the pulmonary valve including a case of fetal cardiac failure.Circulation 20:554–560Google Scholar
- 11.Stellin G, Jonas RA, Goh TH, Brawn WJ, Venables AW, Mee RBB (1983) Surgical treatment of absent pulmonary valve syndrome in infants: relief of bronchial obstruction.Ann Thorac Surg 36:468–475Google Scholar
- 12.Zajtchuk R, Gonzales-Lavin L, Replogle RL (1973) Pulmonary artery aneurysm associated with atrial septal defect and absent pulmonary valve.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 65:699–701Google Scholar