Determination of thorium isotopes in bastnaesite ores
- 37 Downloads
A procedure for the determination of alpha-emitting thorium isotopes in bastnaesite ores has been developed. The refractory sample was completely decomposed by potassium fluoride fusion in a platinum crucible followed by transposition to a pyrosulfate fusion. The pyrosulfate cake was dissolved in HCl and the resulting precipitate dissolved in DTPA solution; thorium was coprecipitated as hydroxide using cerium present in bastnaesite as natural carrier. Thorium was then extracted into a TOPO solution, separated by using Dowex 1-X8 for anionic exchange, electrodeposited and finally analyzed by alpha-spectrometry. Thorium was also determined spectrophotometrically using Arsenazo as a colorimetric reagent. The thorium yield of the above discussed chemical procedure is more than 85%.
KeywordsPotassium Platinum Hydroxide Fluoride Cerium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. IVANOVICH, R. S. HARMON (Eds), Uranium Series Disequilibrium: Applications to Environmental Problems, Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.A. SUNGUR, Z. SAYGI, H. YILDIZ, Turk. J. Nucl. Sci., 12 (1985) 5.Google Scholar
- 3.J. E. POWELL, Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths, Vol. 3, K. GSCHEIDNER, Jr., LE R. EYRING (Eds), Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, 1979.Google Scholar
- 6.A. KOBASHI, T. TOMINAGA, Radiochim. Acta, 30 (1982) 205.Google Scholar
- 13.S. BAZZARRI, D. DESIDERI, L. STACCIOLI, C. TESTA, Atti del IIIo Convegno sulle Metodologie Radiometriche e Radiochimiche in Radioprotezione, Urbino (Italy), 15–17 May 1985, p. 63.Google Scholar
- 17.W. A. KOLB, R. J. KRUPA, Methods of Low-level Counting and Spectrometry, IAEA, Proc. Series, Vienna, 1981, p. 229.Google Scholar