Effect of zinc-amended poultry manure and zinc sulphate on the growth and uptake of zinc by corn (Zea mays L.)
- 45 Downloads
A greenhouse experiment conducted to study the effect of different levels of Zn supplied through Zn-amended poultry manure and ZnSO4 on corn (Zea mays L.) indicated that both the sources significantly increased the dry matter yield and uptake of zinc. The zinc amended poultry manure at all levels of zinc application was more effective than ZnSO4 in this respect. The percent zinc in corn derived from the fertilizer and percent utilization of applied zinc from the Zn-amended poultry manure was higher than that from ZnSO4 when applied at equivalent levels.
Key WordsCorn nutrition Poultry manure Zinc carriers Zn chelation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dubach, P. and Mehta, N. C. 1963 The Chemistry of soil humic substances. Soils Fert.26, 293–300.Google Scholar
- 2.Elgawhary, S. M., Lindsay, W. L. and Kemper, W. D. 1970 Effect of complexing agents and acids on the diffusion of zinc to a simulated root. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc.24, 211–214.Google Scholar
- 3.Kalbasi, M., Racz, G. J. and Lewen-Rudgers, L. A. 1978 Reaction products and solubility of applied zinc compounds in some Manitoba. Soils. Soil Sci.125, 55–64.Google Scholar
- 4.Miller, B. F., Lindsay, W. L. and Parsa, A. A. 1969 Use of poultry manures for correction of Zn and Fe deficiency in plants. Proceedings of the conference on animal waste management. Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y., 120–123.Google Scholar
- 5.Panse, V. G. and Sukhatme, P. V. 1967 Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. 2nd Ed. ICAR, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- 6.Prasad, B., Sinha, M. K. and Randhawa, N. S. 1976 Effect of mobile chelating agents on diffusion of zinc in soils. Soil Sci.122, 260–266.Google Scholar
- 7.Sharma, K. N. and Meelu, O. P. 1975 Effect of long term application of P, K and FYM on the: (a) build up and depletion of Zn in soil, and (b) Zinc concentration and uptake by maize and wheat. J. Indian Soc. Soil Sci.23, 76–82.Google Scholar
- 8.Sinha, M. K. and Prasad, B. 1977 Effect of chelating agents on the kinetics of diffusion of zinc to a simulated root system and its uptake by wheat. Plant and Soil48, 599–612.Google Scholar
- 9.Sinha, M. K., Dhillon, S. K., Pundeer, G. S., Randhawa, N. S. and Dhillon, K. S. 1975 Chemical equilibria and quantity intensity relationship of zinc in some acid soils in India. Geoderma13, 349–362.Google Scholar