Simultaneous measurements of magnetic fields and brightness fields using a 4-image spectroheliograph
- 28 Downloads
The use of an auxiliary beamsplitter with the Kitt Peak 15-foot spectroheliograph permits spectroheliograms to be taken simultaneously in 4 identical images of the sun. By using two of these images for a Zeeman spectroheliogram, a third image for a Fei λ4071 spectroheliogram, and the fourth image for a 6107Å continuum spectroheliogram, simultaneous measurements of magnetic fields and brightness fields have been obtained. Within the limits of intensity variations imposed by doppler shifts and brightness fluctuations of the continuum, a quantitative relation does exist between the measured values of brightness and magnetic field strength of the photospheric network. For intensities measured +0.12 Å from the core of Fei λ4071, this relation is ln(1 +ΔI/I) = α¦B∥¦, whereB∥ refers to the component of magnetic field normal to the solar surface,ΔI/I is the fractional excess of brightness of the magnetic regions relative to the brightness of non-magnetic regions, and α = (6±2)%/100 gauss.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Field Strength Intensity Variation Quantitative Relation Magnetic Field Strength
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Deubner, F. L.: 1968, inStructure and Development of Solar Active Regions. D. Reidel, Dordrecht, p. 232. (IAU Symposium No. 35).Google Scholar
- Harvey, J. W. and Livingston, W. C.: 1969a, private communication.Google Scholar
- Howard, R. F.: 1959,Astrophys, J. 130, 193.Google Scholar
- Kuznetzov, D. A. and Stepanov, V. E.: 1967,Results of Observations and Investigations in the Period of IQSY 4, 82. (Published by SovietScience.)Google Scholar
- Livingston, W. C. and Zirker, J.: 1968, private communication.Google Scholar
- Minnaert, M., Mulders, G. F. W., and Houtgast, J.: 1940,Photometric Atlas of the Solar Spectrum from λ3612 to λ8771, D. Schnabel/Kampert and Helm, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Tsap, T. T.: 1966,Publ. Krymsk. Astrofiz. Observ. 35, 161.Google Scholar