Supernumerary chromosomes and spermatogenesis in a human male carrier
- 51 Downloads
A 57-year-old patient was referred because of primary sterility. Spermogram and testicular histology showed moderate oligospermia and irregular hypospermatogenesis. Karyotypic analysis revealed the presence of a metacentric supernumerary chromosome. Synaptonemal complex analysis using the surface-spreading technique was undertaken to study the meiotic behaviour of the extra chromosome during the pachytene stages. The relationship of the extra chromosome to the infertility of the carrier is discussed.
KeywordsInternal Medicine Metabolic Disease Infertility Complex Analysis Synaptonemal Complex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buckton KE, Spowart G, Newton Ms, Evans HJ (1985) Forty four probands with an additional “marker” chromosome. Hum Genet 69:353–370Google Scholar
- Chandley AC (1970) Chromosome studies on testicular cells of subfertile men. Adv Exp Med Biol 10:151–167Google Scholar
- Ishak B, Jaafar H, Rumpler Y (1991) Absence of transcriptional activity of the B-chromosomes ofApodemus peninsulae during pachytene stage. Chromosoma 100:278–281Google Scholar
- Jaafar H, Gabriel-Robez O, Rumpler Y (1993) Chromosomal anomalies and disturbance of transcriptional activity at the pachytene stage of meiosis: relationships to male sterility. Cytogenet Cell Genet 64:273–280Google Scholar
- Johannissonn R, Gropp A, Winking H, Coerdt W, Rehder H, Schwinger E (1983) Down's syndrome in the male. Reproductive pathology and meiotic studies. Hum Genet 63:132–138Google Scholar
- Mittwoch U, Mahadevaiah SK (1992) Unpaired chromosomes at meiosis: cause or effect of gametogenic insufficiency? Cytogenet Cell Genet 59:274–279Google Scholar
- Moses MJ (1977) Synaptonemal complex karyotyping in spermatocytes of the Chinese hamster (Cricetulus griseus). Morphology of the autosomal complement in spread spermatocytes. Chromosoma 60:99–125Google Scholar
- Ratomponirina C, Viegas-Péquignot E, Petter F, Dutrillaux B, Rumpler Y (1989) Synaptonemal complex study in some species ofGerbillidae without heterochromatin interposition. Cytogenet Cell Genet 52:23–27Google Scholar
- Smith KD, Steinberger E, Steinberger A, Perloff WH (1965) A familial centric chromosome fragment. Cytogenetics 4:219–226Google Scholar
- Solari AJ (1980) Synaptonemal complexes and associated structures in microspread human spermatocytes. Chromosoma 81:315–317Google Scholar
- Switonski M, Gustavsson I, Höjer K, Plöen L (1987) Synaptonemal complex analysis of the B chromosomes in spermatocytes of the silver fox (Vulpus fulvus desm). Cytogenet Cell Genet 45:84–92Google Scholar