HPLC determination of rhodamine B (C.I. 45170) in cosmetic products
- 341 Downloads
A method is proposed for the extraction, separation, identification and quantitative measurement of rhodamine B in cosmetics samples The colour is extracted with a solution of orthophosphoric acid in either water or DMF (depending on the type of cosmetic) adsorbed on a polyamide column, and then eluted with water and methanol. Further clean-up of the extract is performed by means of a Bond Elut C-18 cartridge, from which rhodamine B is eluted with methanol-water (8∶2). The final eluate is examined by HPLC. Chromatography is performed on a C-18 column with a gradient elution from 50∶50 to 70∶30 of acetonitrile-water, containing 0.1 M sodium perchlorate, in 15 min. A diodearray detector enables peak purity analysis. The method gives recovery values of approximately 90%, or better, and the reproducibility is within 4%.
Key WordsColumn liquid chromatography Rhodamine B in cosmetics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. A. Hoodless, K. G. Pitman, T. E. Stewart, J. Thompson, J. E. Arnold, J. Chromatogr.54, 393 (1971).Google Scholar
- A. M. Sjoberg, C. Olkkonen, J. Chromatogr.318, 149 (1985).Google Scholar
- J. W. M. Wegener, H. J. M. Grunbauer, R. J. Fordham, W. Karcher, J. Liq. Chromatogr.7, 809 (1984).Google Scholar
- J. W. M. Wegener, J. C. Klamer, H. Govers, U. A. Th. Brinkman, Chromatographia24, 865 (1987).Google Scholar
- L. Gagliardi, G. Cavazzutti, A. Amato, A. Basili, D. Tonelli, J. Chromatogr.394, 354 (1987).Google Scholar