Establishing a national ore data file in Finland
- 24 Downloads
The Finnish Ore Data File has already provided valuable experience on building, maintaining, and using an extensive data file with a great diversity of data. The file attempts to accommodate all relevant data on ore deposits in metamorphosed and strongly deformed Precambrian terrain. Because the deposits dealt with are generally well-studied and documented, they provide a great deal of precise information on ore deposits. The question arises as to how the system could be used internationally, especially bearing in mind developing countries. The two problems which should be solved for this purpose are: first, the forms, codes, and programs should be translated from Finnish into English; second, the structure of the file should be simplified to meet the demands of less studied areas and deposits. However, both problems could be resolved relatively easily without changing the basic principles involved.
KeywordsBasic Principle Data File Precise Information Extensive Data Valuable Experience
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Botbol, J. M., 1970, Characteristic analysis as applied to mineral exploration: Internat. Symp. Computer Applications to the Mineral Industry, Montreal, June 1970.Google Scholar
- Davis, J. C., 1973, Statistical and data analysis in geology: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 550 p.Google Scholar
- De Geoffroy, J. G., and Wignall, T. K., 1972, A statistical study of geological characteristics of porphyry-copper-molybdenum deposits in the Cordillerian belt-application to the rating of porphyry prospects: Economic Geology, v. 67, no. 5, p. 656–668.Google Scholar
- Gaál, G., and Suokonautio, V., 1973, An automatic data processing system for explorational mapping in Precambrian terrain: GEOKU: Geol. Surv. Finland Bull. 266, p. 1–26.Google Scholar
- Gaál, G., Autio, H., Oksama, M., Lehtonen, M., Mäkinen, A., Tontti, M., and Vuorela, P., 1977, Ore data file project of Northern Finland (in Finnish with English summary): Geol. Surv. of Finland, Rept. of Investigation no. 26.Google Scholar