A study of the surface modification of alumina for GC
- 39 Downloads
A gas chromatographic method for the separation of alkanes and alkenes present in coal mine air has been developed using modified alumina columns. The separation was carried out using a GC equipped with a gas sampling valve, a FID and a surface modified alumina packed column with helium as carrier gas.
An investigation was carried out into the effects of surface modifiers on alumina. The study examined the change in retention properties on alumina modified by alkali metal salts and the specific effects of the halide anions and metal cations.
The paper describes the preparation of the alumina columns and the effects on selectivity of post heating the stationary phase. The study demonstrated that alumina modified with 2% sodium chloride and post heated to 150°C was the most appropriate stationary phase.
Key WordsGas chromatography Modified alumina Coal mine air Alkenes, alkanes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Cooper, PhD Thesis, Nottingham Polytechnic, 1991.Google Scholar
- M. Cooper, A. Braithwaite, “Development of Methods for the Early Detection of Spontaneous Combustion Using Specific Indicator Gases”, British Coal and Nottingham Polytechnic ECSC Research Project Report 7258-02/08/120 (1990).Google Scholar
- R. A. Hartwick, J. Chromatogr. Sci.27, 161 (1989).Google Scholar
- C. G. Scott, J. Inst. Petroleum45, 118 (1959).Google Scholar
- C. G. Scott, in “Gas Chromatography”, M. van Swaay, Ed., Butterworth 1962, p. 36.Google Scholar
- C. G. Scott, C. S. G. Phillips, in “Gas Chromatography”, Goldup, A., Ed., The Institute of Petroleum, 1964, p. 129.Google Scholar
- C. G. Scott, C. S. G. Phillips, in “Progress in Gas Chromatography”, J. H. Purnell, Ed., Wiley Interscience, 1968, p. 121.Google Scholar
- M. G. Neumann, W. Hertl, J. Chromatogr.65, 467 (1972).Google Scholar
- J. B. Peri, J. Phys. Chem.69, 211 (1965).Google Scholar
- M. L. Hair, “Infra-Red Spectroscopy in Surface Chemistry”, Marcel Dekker, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- R. L. Grob, “Modern Practice of Gas Chromatography”, John Wiley & Sons, 1985.Google Scholar
- G. MacZura, K. P. Goodboy, J. J. Koeing, in “Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology”, Volume 2, John Wiley & Sons, 1978, p. 218.Google Scholar
- S. Moriguchi, K. Naito, S. Takei, J. Chromatogr.131, 19 (1977).Google Scholar
- S. Moriguchi, S. Takei, J. Chromatogr.295, 73 (1984).Google Scholar
- A. Braithwaite, M. Cooper, paper in preparation.Google Scholar