Gas chromatographic determination of parabens in various pharmaceutical dosage forms
- 92 Downloads
A specific, sensitive and general applicabla gas chromatographic method is described for the determination of parabens in various liquid pharmaceutical preparations: propylparaben and butylparaben in a liquid antacid dosage form (I); methylparaben, ethylparaben and propylparaben in a syrup (II); methylparaben and propylparaben in a solution for injection (III). Each time one of the parabens is used as internal standard. The parabens are extracted with diethylether and derivatized by silylation. Different columns are used for the analysis of the parabens: 3% SE-30 column, a 3% QF-1 column for different selectivity, a 2% OV-1 column for isothermal operation.
Special attention is attributed to the standard: the parabens are dissolved in a minimal amount of 0.1 M sodium hydroxide and extracted in the same way as the pharmaceutical dosage form.
Key WordsParabens and their dissolution Pharmaceutical dosage forms Derivatization Gas chromatography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. Tsuji, “GLC and HPLC determination of therapeutic agents”. Marcel Dekker, New York and Basel, 1978, part 2, pp. 807–815.Google Scholar
- J. Korsic, D. Milivojevic, R. Smerkolj, E. Kucan, M. Prosek, J. HRC & C. C.4, 24 (1981).Google Scholar
- Th. P. Radius, G. Gyr J. Pharm. Sci.72, 221 (1983).Google Scholar
- L. Carnevale, J. Pharm. Sci.72, 196 (1983).Google Scholar
- S. Biffar, L. J. Cohn, V. J. Greely, D. L. Tibbetts, J. Chromatogr.275, 400 (1983).Google Scholar
- K. Tsuji, “GLC and HPLC determination of therapeutic agents,” Marcel Dekker, New York and Basel, 1978, part 1, pp. 138–144.Google Scholar
- K. M. Brobst, C. E. Lott Jr., “Cereal Chemistry”43, 35 (1966).Google Scholar
- J. Drozd, “Chemical Derivatization in gas chromatography”, Elsevier Scientific publishing company, Amsterdam, 1981, pp. 69–75.Google Scholar
- M. S. Klee, M. A. Kaiser, K. B. Laughlin, “Pittsburgh Conference and Exposition Abstracts 1983”, p. 837.Google Scholar