Determination of molecular diffusion coefficients in liquid crystal 4,4′-bis(heptyloxy)azoxybenzene by gas chromatography
- 98 Downloads
The molecular diffusion coefficients of xylene isomers have been determined at different temperatures in the three phases (smectic, nematic and isotropic) of 4,4′-bis(heptyloxy)azoxybenzene (BHOAB) by gas chromatography. The results obtained are discussed in terms of molar volume, polarity and length-to-breadth ratio of several isomers. The activation energy of diffusion processes of solutes in the three phases of the liquid crystal has been calculated.
Key WordsGas chromatography Liquid crystals Diffusion coefficients Xylenes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Kelker, Ber. Bunsenges. Phys. Chem.67, 698 (1963).Google Scholar
- I. Medina, accepted for publication in Liquid Crystals.Google Scholar
- R. C. Reid, J. M. Prausnitz, T. K. Sherwood, “The Properties of Gases and Liquids”, McGraw-Hill, New York (1977).Google Scholar
- A. Radecki, H. Lamparczyk, R. Kaliszan, Chromatographia12, 595 (1979).Google Scholar
- R. C. Weast, “Handbook of Chemistry and Physics”, Chemical Rubber Co., Cleveland (1983).Google Scholar