Determination of azidothymidine and its degradation product thymine in pharmaceutical dosage forms by HPLC and HPTLC densitometry
HPTLC densitometry and HPLC are considered for the determination of azidothymidine and its degradation product thymine in pharmaceutical dosage forms. In HPTLC the substances were separated on silica gel with fluorescence indicator in methanol-chloroform (10∶90) and methanol-chloroform (15∶85) systems. Absorbance measurement (detection of reflectance) of the separated substances was carried outin situ at 268 nm using four-level calibration (external standard, linear regression function) in the concentration range of 25–100 ng thymine/spot and using single-level calibration (external standard) at the concentration of 100 ng azidothymidine/spot. HPLC was carried out using RP-18 stationary phase and methanol+aqueous 0.03 mol/l KH2PO4 (18+82, v/v) as the mobile phase. The temperature was 50°C and the detection wavelength 266 nm. The detection limit of thymidine was 0.05%. The concentration range for azidothymidine was 0.5–1.5 mg/ml and for thymine 1–40 μg/ml (for an injection volume of 10 μl). The results were evaluated by linear regression analysis.
Key WordsColumn liquid chromatography Thin layer chromatography Azidothymidine Thymine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. P. Horowitz, J. Chua, M. Noet, J. Org. Chem.,29, 2076 (1964).Google Scholar
- W. P. Parks, E. S. Parks, J. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes,1, 125 (1988).Google Scholar
- E. D. Bashaw, M. A. Amantea, Amer. J. Hospital Pharmacy,45, 2532 (1988).Google Scholar
- M. A. Skinner, T. J. Matthews, J. Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome1, 162 (1988).Google Scholar
- V. Herbert, S. Hirschman, JAMA,260, 3586 (1988).Google Scholar
- I. V. D. Weller, A. Mills, British Medical J.,297, 1608 (1988).Google Scholar
- S. E. Keller, S. J. Schleifer, J. A. Bartlett, R. L. Johnson, JA MA,260, 3586 (1988).Google Scholar
- H. D. Langtry, D. M. Campoli-Richards, Drugs,37, 40 (1989).Google Scholar
- M. R. Blum, S. H. T. Liao, S. S. Good, P. de Miranda, Amer. J. Med.,85, Suppl. 2A, 189 (1988).Google Scholar
- Analytical Procedures — Azidothymidin tablets, Lachema Czechoslovakia, 1989.Google Scholar