Sexual abuse histories of sexual offenders
- 189 Downloads
A comparison of sexual abuse histories of sexual offender and nonsexual offender inmates was undertaken. Sixty-five male subjects were interviewed and given questionnaires regarding their own sexual abuse histories and their family backgrounds. Eighteen of 29 rapists (62%), 8 of 16 child molesters (50%), and 4 of 20 nonsexual offender inmates (20%) were classified as having been sexually abused, with sexual offenders being more likely to report having been abused. A history of sexual abuse appears to be an important factor in the backgrounds of sexual offenders and it was found to be associated with other aspects of a disturbed family background.
Key Wordschild molesters rapists sexual abuse sexual offending victimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brannon, J. M., Larson, B., & Doggett, M. (1989). The extent and origins of xexual molestation and abuse among incarcerated adolescent males.International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 33, 161–172.Google Scholar
- Finkelhor, D. (1986). Abusers: Special topics. In D. Finkelhor (Ed.),Sourcebook on child sexual abuse (pp. 119–142). Beverley Hills, CA: Sage.Google Scholar
- Gordon, A., Holden, R., & Leis, T. (1991). Matching and treating sex offenders: Matching risk and needs with programming.Forum on Corrections Research 3, 7–11.Google Scholar
- Groth, A. N. (1979). Sexual trauma in the life histories of rapists and child molesters.Victimology, 4, 10–16.Google Scholar
- Hunter, M. (1990).The sexually abused male: Prevalence, impact and treatment. Lexington, MA: D.C. Heath.Google Scholar
- Peters, S. D., Wyatt, G. E., & Finkelhor, D. (1986). Prevalence. In D. Finkelhor (Ed.),Sourcebook on child sexual abuse (pp. 15–59). Beverley Hills, CA:Sage.Google Scholar
- Prentky, R. A., Knight, R. A., Sims-Knight, J. E., Strauss, H., Rokous, F., & Cerce, D. (1989). Developmental antecedents of sexual aggression.Development and Psychopathology, 1, 153–169.Google Scholar
- Seghorn, T. K., Prentky, R. A., & Boucher, R. J. (1987). Childhood sexual abuse in the lives of sexually aggressive offenders.Journal of American Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 26, 262–267.Google Scholar
- Smith, W. R. (1989). Delinquency and abuse among juvenile sexual offenders.Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 3, 400–413.Google Scholar