Time series of physical, chemical and plankton parameters in Lake Maarsseveen I: 1980–1986
In 1983, an unexpected bloom of the cyanobacteriaMicrocystis aeruginosa was observed in Lake Maarsseveen I. It was supposed that this phenomenon might be an indication of accelerated eutrophication of the lake. However, data on physical, chemical and phytoplankton parameters, collected over the last 6 years do not support this contention. Phytoplankton total phosphate and physical characteristics did not change. Annual levels of dissolved nutrients such as silicate and nitrate were even observed to show significant decreases over the period of observation.
KeyWordslight temperature oxygen nutrients phytoplankton eutrophication Lake maarsseveen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ARMSTRONG, F.A.J., 1951. The determination of silicate in sea water. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. U.K., 30: 149–160.Google Scholar
- FOGG, G.E. and A.E. WALSBY, 1971. Buoyancy regulation of planktonic blue-green algae. Mitt. int. Verein. Limnol., 19: 182–188.Google Scholar
- KERSTING, K., 1981. Annual and diel oxygen and temperature regime of the Lakes Maarsseveen. Hydrobiol. Bull., 15: 10–28.Google Scholar
- LINGEMAN, R., 1980a. Signal analysis of irradiation, temperature and primary production in a small artificial pond: I. The annual signals. Int. Revue ges. Hydrobiol., 65: 753–776.Google Scholar
- LINGEMAN, R., 1980b. Signal analysis of irradiation, temperature and primary production in a small artificial pond: II. The residual spectra. Int. Revue ges. Hydrobiol., 66: 203–222.Google Scholar
- MORTIMER, C.H., 1981. The oxygen content of air-saturated fresh waters over ranges of temperature and atmospheric pressure of limnological interest. Mitt. int. Verein. Limnol., 22, 23 pp.Google Scholar
- RINGELBERG, J., Ed., 1981. Limnological Research in the Maarsseveen Lakes 1975–1980. Dept. Aquat. Ecol., University of Amsterdam, 299 pp.Google Scholar
- RINGELBERG, J., 1985. Veranderingen in de waterkwaliteit van de grote Maarsseveense Plas. Vakgroep Aquatische Oecologie, 13 pp. (internal report).Google Scholar
- SCHINDLER, D.W., 1974. Eutrophication and recovery In experimental lakes: Implications for lake management. Science 184: 897–899.Google Scholar
- STAINTON, M.P., M.J. CAPEL and F.A.J. ARMSTRONG, 1974. The chemical analysis of freshwater. Miscellaneous special publication no. 25. Research and development directorate Freshwater Institute Winnipeg, Manitoba.Google Scholar
- VAN DONK, E., 1983. Factors influencing phytoplankton growth and succession in Lake Maarsseveen I. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Amsterdam, 148 pp.Google Scholar
- WOODS, E.D., F.A.J. ARMSTRONG and F.A. RICHARDS, 1967. Determination of nitrate in sea water by cadmium copper reduction to nitrite. J. Mar. Assoc., U.K., 47: 23–31.Google Scholar