Localization of activin and activin receptors in rat spinal motoneurons
- 21 Downloads
The purpose of this experiment was to determine whether rat spinal motoneurons (a) produce activin protein and (b) transcribe mRNAs coding for the βA-subunit of activin and activin receptors II and IIB. The production of activin was determined by immunocytochemistry. The expression and localization of the mRNAs were elucidated by the reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and in situ hybridization techniques. We have observed that activin A protein was produced and mRNAs encoding activin βA-subunit and activin receptors II and IIB were expressed by motoneurons of the rat spinal cord. Furthermore, the identity of RT-PCR products was confirmed by DNA sequencing. It is concluded that activin may have a functional role in the maintenance of rat spinal motoneurons.
Key wordsActivin Activin receptors Autocrine Growth factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.van den Eiindenvan-Raaij AJ, van Achterberg TA, van der Kruijssen CM, Piersma AH, Huylebroeck D, de Laat SW, Mummery CL. Differentiation of aggregated murine P19 embryonal carcinoma cells is induced by a novel visceral endoderm-specific FGF-like factor and inhibited by activin A. Mech Dev 33:157–165;1991.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 12.Plotsky PM, Kjaer A, Sutton SW, Sawchenko P, Vale W. Central activin administration modulates corticotropin-releasing hormone and adrenocorticotropin secretion. Endocrinology 128:2520–2525.Google Scholar
- 17.Tuuri T, Eramaa M, Hilden K, Ritvos O. The tissue distribution of activin βA- and βB-subunit and follistatin messenger ribonucleic acids suggests multiple sites of action for the activinfollistatin system during human development. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 78:1521–1524;1994.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Ying S-Y. Inhibins, activins, and follistatins: gonadal proteins modulating the secretion of follicle-stimulating hormone. Endo Rev 9:267–293;1988.Google Scholar
- 21.Ying SY, Ling N, Guillemin R. Inhibins and activins: Structures and radioimmunoassays. Ann New York Acad Sci 541:143–152;1988.Google Scholar
- 22.Ying SY, Zhang Z, Xing W. Expression and localization of activin and activin receptors in PC3 cells. Int J Oncol 6:601–606;1995.Google Scholar