The polarization and 3-D structure of the corona on 11.3.94
We present the results of observations of the white-light corona in polarized light (Criciuma, Brazil) in 1994. The space location of the surface Br=0 is calculated using the synoptic map of filaments during the solar eclipse. A good agreement was found between the corona ray structure and the surface folds and pleats, which result from its projection onto the sky plane. The measured polarization degree is compared with calculations by the Van de Hulst model. A conclusion is made concerning the adequacy between the proposed model and the observation data.
KeywordsQuantum Electronics Nonlinear Optic Observation Data Measured Polarization Solar Eclipse
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Koutchmy, Dissertation, Astrophys. Inst., Paris (1972).Google Scholar
- 2.J. T. Hoeksema and P. H. Scherrer,The solar magnetic field 1976–1985, Boulder (1986).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Koutchmy, M. M. Molodenskii, and Zh. K. Vial,Astron. Zh.,71, 925 (1994).Google Scholar
- 4.C. W. Allen,Astrophysical Quantities [Russian translation], Mir, Moscow (1977).Google Scholar
- 5.A. K. Kishonkov, M. M. Molodensky,Sol. Phys.,42, 341 (1975).Google Scholar
- 6.H. C. Van de Hulst,Bull. Astron. Netherlands,11, 135 (1950).Google Scholar
- 7.I. S. Shklovskii,The Physics of the Solar Corona [in Russian], Fizmatgiz, Moscow (1962).Google Scholar
- 8.S. Koutchmy and P. Lamy, Proc. IAU,85, 63 (1985).Google Scholar