Dermatoglyphics and ankylosing spondylitis
- 20 Downloads
Dermatoglyphics “the epidermal ridge configurations of the fingers, toes, palms and soles”, not only help identify individuals, but have been proved to give important information about some genetic disorders. This study was aimed at finding a possible correlation between the dermatoglyphic differences in patients with ankylosing spondylitis (AS) and the HLA B27 antigen. The dermatoglyphic patterns of AS patients were compared with the data of control subjects. Significant dermatoglyphic abnormalities were found, but there proved to be no connection between the HLA B27 antigens. We therefore conclude that HLA B27 does not contribute to the development of dermatoglyphic abnormalities. It seems, however, that our findings provide some new nosographic information to the natural picture of AS.
Key wordsAnkylosing Spondylitis Fingerprint Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Davies, P., Smallpeice, V. The single transverse palm crease in infants and children. Develop Med Child Neurol. 1963, 5, 491–496.Google Scholar
- 5.Holt, S.B. Genetics of dermal ridges: frequency distributions of total finger ridge-count. Ann Hum Genet 1956, 20, 159–170.Google Scholar
- 6.David, T.J. Palmar dermatoglyphs in tuberous sclerosis. Jour Med Genet 1972, 9, 443–447.Google Scholar
- 7.Molnar, G., Szilagyi, K. Dermatoglyphic system of mentally deficients. Anthr Közlem 1965, IX évf 2–3 sz, 57–75.Google Scholar
- 10.Ostovics, M., Czeizel, E., Révész, F., Tusnády, G. A Budapesti populáció tenyér és ujj dermatoglypha mutatóinak “normal” értékei. Orv. Hetilap 1971, 112, 2698–2702.Google Scholar
- 11.Penrose, L.S. Memorandum on dermatoglyphic nomenclature. Birth Defects Orig Art 1968, Ser. IV. No 3.1.Google Scholar
- 13.Fraga, A., Armendares, S., Mintz, G., Mora, J., Cortes, R. Dermatoglyphic patterns in systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and their changes in patients with increased fetal wastage (abstr). J Rheumatol 1974, suppl 1–35.Google Scholar
- 14.Qazi, Q.H., Fikrig, S.M., Smithwick, I.M., Grimes, E.R., Kaplan, D. Dermatoglyphics and systemic lupus erythematosus (abstr). Pediatr Res 1974, 8, 394.Google Scholar
- 16.Holt, S.B. Genetics of dermal ridges: frequency distributions of total finger ridge-count. Ann Hum Genet 1956, 20, 159–170.Google Scholar
- 18.Benichou, C., Sebaoun, M., Lievre, J.A. Etude du Caryotype et du Dermatoglyphe en Rheumatologie. Rev de Rheumat 1968, 35, 509–513.Google Scholar