Cupressaceae pollen in the atmosphere of Ascoli Piceno (Central Italy) and sensitization of allergic subjects
The aim of this work is to study the incidence of pollinosis in the Health District of Ascoli Piceno, Central Italy (U.S.L.24). this being an underestimated pathology from the clinical point of view and also as a result of the recent introduction of this taxa in the National Aeroallergen Network. Since 1990, 5055 patients of both sexes with respiratory symptomatology of suspected IgE mediated aetiology have been examined in our Centre with the Skin Prick Test (SPT) using allergen panels including Cypress; 171 (3.38%) patients were found to be positive to this allergen. These results show that the subjects with symptoms in the period January–March in most cases have a sensitization toCupressus pollen and new studies will evaluate the possibility of specific immunotherapy.
KeywordsAllergy Cupressus sempervirens pollen Pollinosis Aerobiology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ariano, R. (1985) Allergia al polline di Cipresso in Liguria. l7‡Congresso ella Società Italiana di Allergologia ed Immunologia Clinica, Milan, 3–5 October, p. 107.Google Scholar
- Caiaffa, M.F., Macchia, L. and Tursi, A. (1988) La pollinosi da Cupressaceae, Atti del III Congresso Nazionale, Associazione Italiana di Aerobiologia, 21–22 September 1988, p. 145.Google Scholar
- Cimignoli, E., Brocucci, L., Cernetti, C., Gerli, R. and Spinozzi, F. (1992) Isolation and partial characterization ofCupressus sempervirens allergens. Aerobiologia 8, 465–470.Google Scholar
- Gross, G.N., Zimburean, J.M. and Capra, J.D. (1988) Isolation and partial characterization of the allergen in mountain cedar pollen. Scand. J. Immunol. 8, 437.Google Scholar
- Lowenstein, H. (1980) Physico-chemical and immunochemical methods for the control of potency and quality of allergenic extracts. In: Brede Going (Ed.), Regulatory Control and Standardization of Allergenic Extracts, Fisher, New York.Google Scholar
- Panzani, R., Centanni, G. and Brunel, M. (1986) Increase of respiratory allergy to the pollen of Cypresses in the south of France. Ann. Allergy 56, 460.Google Scholar
- Sócietà Ital di all Eimmunol Clinica (1992) Memorandum su diagnostica delle allergopatie. Giorn. It. Allergol. Immunol. Clin. 2, 351.Google Scholar
- Spinozzi, F. (1993) Caratterizazione biochimica del polline di Cupressaceae. Atti del I Convegno di Allergologia Sezione Umbro-Marchigiana-S.I.A.I.C. ‘La prevenzione delle malattie allergiche’ Perugia, 29–30 April 1993, pp. 63—64.Google Scholar
- Spinozzi, F., Cimignoli, E. and Cernetti, C. et al. (1990) Immunochemical analysis of Cupressaceae allergens. Clin. Exp. Allergy 20 (Suppl. 1), 66.Google Scholar
- Spinozzi, F., Cimignoli, E. and Grignani, F. (1993) Immunotherapy: what are we administering to the allergic patient? Lancet 341, 386.Google Scholar