Lymphoedema of the limbs in rheumatoid arthritis
- 29 Downloads
The lymphoedema of the extremities is a rare complication of rheumatoid arthritis (RA); it does not appear to be correlated with positivity for rheumatoid factor nor with the clinical activity of the disease. The authors describe 6 cases of lymphoedema in patients affected by RA; in 3 of them the lymphoedema was localized in the upper and in the remaining cases in the lower limbs. Four patients, (one of whom has been subjected to a lymphoangiography which demonstrates an obstruction of the deep lymphatics), presented an increase of the plasma fibrinogen degradation products (FDP). This could confirm the hypothesis according to which the lymphoedema could be attributable to an obstruction of the lymphatics caused by fibrin and other degradation products of the coagulation system. In one case the authors underscore the therapeutic effectiveness of lymphodrainage associated with administration of diuretics.
Key wordsLymphoedema Rheumatoid Arthritis Fibrinogen Degradation Products Lymphodrainage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dacre J.E., Scott, D.L., Huskisson, E.C. Lymphoedema of the limbs as an extra-articular feature of rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 1990, 49, 722–724.Google Scholar
- 2.De Silva R.T.D., Grennan D.M., Palme, D. Lymphatic obstruction in rheumatoid arthritis: a cause of upper limb oedema. Ann Rheum Dis 1980, 39, 260–265.Google Scholar
- 3.Grillet B., Dequeker, J. Rheumatoid lymphoedema. J Rheumatol 1987, 14, 1095–1097.Google Scholar
- 4.Hart, F.D. Rheumatoid arthritis: extra-articular manifestations. Br Med J 1969, iii, 131–136.Google Scholar
- 5.Jayson M.I.V., Barks J.S. Oedema in rheumatoid arthritis: changes in the coefficient of capillary filtration. Br Med J 1971, ii, 555–557.Google Scholar
- 6.Jayson M.I.V., Cavil I., Barks J.S. Lymphatic clearance rates in rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 1971, 30, 638–639.Google Scholar
- 7.Jasani, M.K., Bach, C.S. Prostaglandins, rheumatoid arthritis, fibrin and lymphoedema. Agents Actions. 1979, 4 (suppl), 222–231.Google Scholar
- 8.Kalliomaki, J.L., Vastamaki, M. Chronic diffuse oedema of the rheumatoid hand: a sign of local lymphatic involvement. Ann Rheum Dis 1968, 27, 167–169.Google Scholar
- 9.Kyle, V.M., De Silva, M., Hurst, G. Rheumatoid lymphoedema. Clin Rheumatol 1982, 2, 126–127.Google Scholar