Nigeria and the advancing desert
- 33 Downloads
A wide area of Nigeria is now being subjected to the adverse effects of the advancing Sahara Desert. Although public policy focus appears to have been directed at this problem, its implications for political stability are more serious than presently realised. The need arises therefore to adopt an approach that will consider the multivarious dimensions of the desertification problem.
KeywordsAdverse Effect Environmental Management Public Policy Nature Conservation Nigeria
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adewale, F.O. 1980. Desertification in Nigeria: Its Origin, Problems and Achievements so far. Paper presented at the National Conference on Development and the Environment. The Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), Ibadan.Google Scholar
- Aladejana, K. and Adesiyan, Z.O. 1982. Desertification and Erosion- The Nigerian Situation. In:Proceedings on Environmental Awareness Seminar for National Policy Makers. Federal Ministry of Housing and Environment, Lagos.Google Scholar
- Berry, L. 1984. Desertification in the Sudan - Sahelian Region.Desertification Control 10, p.26.Google Scholar
- Gorizontov, B. 1982.Capitalism and the Ecological Crisis, p.46. Progress Publishers, Moscow.Google Scholar
- Kassas, M. 1985. Deforestation, Desertification and Soil Loss.Desertification Control Bulletin - UNEP, No.12.Google Scholar
- Mabbutt, J.A. 1985. Desertification of the World's Range-lands. In UNEP,op. cit., p.14.Google Scholar
- Mustafa, S. 1983. Impact of Drought on Man's Natural Resources. Paper presented at the National Conference on Development and Environment. The Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER), Ibadan.Google Scholar
- Ogigirigi, M.A. 1979. Towards Amelioration, Preservation and Beautification of the Nigerian Environment through Vegetation Management. Paper presented at the World Environment Day Seminar, 5th June 1979 at FRIN, Ibadan.Google Scholar
- United Nations 1977.Desertification: Its Causes and Consequences. Pergamon Press, Oxford.Google Scholar