Intestinal disorders in hypothyroidism
- 34 Downloads
Manometric investigation of intestinal function in hypothyroidism has shown evidence of a severe functional deficiency of the small intestine and colon under both basal and stimulated conditions. Stimulating the small intestine by a glucose perfusion and the colon with Urecholine has shown a total absence of motor response in some of the patients affected by a particularly severe constipation. Urecholine stimulation of the colon may provide a prognostic test by showing which patients will respond to hormonal therapy by restoration of normal intestinal function.
KeywordsPublic Health Glucose Small Intestine Hormonal Therapy Constipation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ceelen W: Uber Myxödem. Beitr Path Anat 69:342, 1921Google Scholar
- 2.Fridenwald J, Morrison S: Gastro-intestinal disturbance associated with the endocrinopathies. Endocrinology 17:392-1933Google Scholar
- 3.Means JH: The thyroid and its diseases. Philadelphia Lippincott, 1937Google Scholar
- 4.Bacharach T, Evans JR: Enlargement of the colon secondary to hypothyroidism: Ann Intern Med 47:121, 1957Google Scholar
- 5.Bastenie PA: Paralytic ileus in severe hypothyroidism. Lancet i:413, 1946Google Scholar
- 6.Hohl RD, Nixon RK: Myxedema ileus. Arch Intern Med 115:145, 1965Google Scholar
- 7.Isselbacher KJ, Vickey L: Myxedema with massive colonic distension and gastric cancer. New Eng J Med 272:1118, 1965Google Scholar
- 8.Kelley ML, Stewart JM: Myxedema and intestinal malabsorption (nontropical sprue?) with severe hypomotility of the gastrointestinal tract. Amer J Dig Dis 9:79, 1964Google Scholar
- 9.Clifton JA, Christensen J, Schedl HP: Variations in the frequency of the human duodenal basic electrical rhythm in health and disease. Trans Amer Clin Climat Ass 77:217, 1966Google Scholar
- 10.Douglas AC, Jacobson SD: Pathologic changes in adult myxoedem. Survey of ten necropsies. J Clin Endocr 17:1354, 1957Google Scholar
- 11.Crismer R: La part de la thyroide dans la pathogenie du dolichocolon. Acta Clinica Belg 2:33, 1947Google Scholar