- 27 Downloads
A patient with disseminated sarcoidosis involving the lungs, lymph nodes, liver, spleen, and probably heart, was found also to have sarcoidosis of the lower esophagus by peroral biopsy. This is the third case of esophageal involvement with sarcoidosis reported in the literature and the first diagnosed by this method. Although the diagnosis in the other 2 cases is questionable and the cricopharyngeus may belong to either the esophagus or pharynx, at least our patient had definitely proved disseminated sarcoidosis with esophageal involvement. It is probable that many more such patients will be found in the future.
KeywordsPublic Health Lymph Node Sarcoidosis Lower Esophagus Esophageal Involvement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kerley, P. Sarcoidosis. InModern Trends in Diagnostic Radiology (First Series). Me Laren, J. W., Ed. Hoeber, New York, 1948. P. 150.Google Scholar
- 2.Siegel, C. I., Honda, M., Salik, J., andMindeloff, A. I. Dysphagia due to granulomatous myositis of the cricopharyngeus muscle: Physiological and cinera-diographic studies prior to and following successful surgical therapy.Tr. A. Am. Physicians 74:342, 1961.Google Scholar
- 5.Israel, H. L., andSones, M. Sarcoidosis: clinical observation on one hundred and sixty cases.A. M. A. Arch. Int. Med. 102:766, 1958.Google Scholar
- 6.Palmer, E. D. Note on silent sarcoidosis of the gastric mucosa.J. Lab. & Clin. Med. 52:231, 1958.Google Scholar
- 8.Nathan, M. H., Newman, A., Ochsner, J. L., andBlum, L. Sarcoidosis of the upper gastrointestinal tract.Am. J. Roentgenol. 84:215, 1960.Google Scholar
- 9.Bernstein, M., Konzelmann, F. W., andSidlick, D. M. Bocck's Sarcoid: report of a case with visceral involvement.A. M. A. Arch. Int. Med. 44:721, 1929.Google Scholar
- 11.Cotter, E. F. Boeck's Sarcoid: autopsy in a case with visceral lesions.A. M. A. Arch. Int. Med. 64:286, 1939.Google Scholar
- 13.Raven, R. W. Surgical manifestations of sarcoidosis: Erasmus Wilson Lecture.Ann. Roy. Coll. Surgeons England 5:3, 1949.Google Scholar
- 14.Aaronson, H. G., Meir, J. H., andUlin, A. W. A case of sarcoidosis of the colon.J. Albert Einstein Med. Center 6:14, 1957.Google Scholar