Gastric emptying following Finney pyloroplasty and vagotomy
Gastric emptying was evaluated in a series of unanesthetized dogs in the intact state, following Finney pyloroplasty, and with the addition of vagotomy. Sodium chromate labeled test meals of glucose, trisodium citrate, and trisodium citrate-fat were used. Finney pyloroplasty resulted in a trend for delayed emptying of fat from the stomach. The trisodium citrate test meal increased the levels of gastric secretion after pyloroplasty.
Association of our previous motility data based on pyloroplasty studies with the current gastric-emptying evaluations indicate that too large a stoma between the antrum and duodenum is an impediment to normal gastric emptying of fatty meals.
KeywordsPublic Health Glucose Sodium Chromate Citrate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fry WJ, Thompson NW: Vagotomy and pyloroplasty for duodenal ulcer. Surg Clin N Amer 46:359, 1966Google Scholar
- 2.Ludwick JR, Wiley JN, Bass P: Pyloroplasty and vagotomy: Early effects on antral and duodenal contractile activity. Arch Surg (Chicago) 99:553, 1969Google Scholar
- 3.Weisbrodt NW, Wiley JN, Overholt BF, et al: A relation between gastroduodenal muscle contractility and gastric emptying. Gut 10:543, 1969Google Scholar
- 4.Kraft RO, Fry WJ: Operative technic of selective gastric vagotomy. Amer J Surg 105:423, 1963Google Scholar
- 5.Hunt JN: Gastric emptying and secretion in man. Physiol Rev 39:491, 1959.Google Scholar
- 6.Chilton NW: Studies in the design and analysis of dental experiments. II. A four-way analysis of variance. J Dent Res 39:344, 1960.Google Scholar
- 7.Waddell WR, Wang CC: Effect of vagotomy on gastric evacuation of high fat meals. J Appl Physiol 5:705, 1953Google Scholar
- 8.Lawson LJ, Dragstedt LR II: Vagotomy—pyloroplasty effects on antrum function. Arch Surg (Chicago) 96:109, 1968.Google Scholar
- 9.Hunt JN: Control of gastric emptying. Amer J Dig Dis 13:371, 1968Google Scholar
- 10.Silberman VA, Winkley JH: Surgical treatment of peptic ulcer. Arch Surg (Chicago) 97:84, 1968Google Scholar
- 11.Burdette WJ, Rasmussen BL, Fitzpatrick WK: Management of duodenal ulcer by vagus resection and pyloroplasty. Surg Gynec Obstet 127:513, 1968Google Scholar