Sacral insufficiency fractures—Rare complication of pelvic radiation for rectal carcinoma
- 40 Downloads
PURPOSE: The report contained herein presents a patient who developed severe back pain because of bilateral sacral insufficiency fractures after pelvic radiation for rectal carcinoma. METHODS: This is a case report and review of the literature for a rare complication of pelvic radiation. RESULT: The patient was diagnosed by computerized tomography and radionuclide bone scans. Bed rest and analgesia followed by rehabilitation provided good relief of the symptoms. CONCLUSION: A rare complication of pelvic radiation is insufficiency fractures of the pelvis. Early detection is important, because significant morbidity may result from delaying treatment. Unawareness of this complication may lead to diagnostic difficulties and unnecessary work-up.
Key wordsInsufficiency fractures Radiation injury effects Radiotherapy Complications
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Peh WC, Khong PL, Sham ST,et al. Sacral and public insufficiency fractures after irradiation of gynecological malignancies. Clin Oncol 1995;7:117–22.Google Scholar
- 2.DeSmet AA, Neff JR. Public and sacral insufficiency fractures: clinical course and radiologic finding. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1985;145:601–6.Google Scholar
- 3.Daffner RH, Pavlov H. Stress fractures: current concepts. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1992;159:245–52.Google Scholar
- 4.Lourie H. Spontaneous osteoporotic fractures of the sacrum: an unrecognized syndrome of the elderly. JAMA 1982;248:715–7.Google Scholar
- 5.Ries T. Detection of osteoporotic sacral fractures with radionucleides. Radiology 1983;146:783–5.Google Scholar
- 6.Abe H, Nakamura M, Takahashi S,et al. Radiation-induced insufficiency fractures of the pelvis: evaluation with 99m Tc-methylene disphosphonate scintigraphy. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1992;158:599–602.Google Scholar
- 7.Weber M, Halser P, Gerber H. Insufficiency fractures of the sacrum: twenty cases and review of the literature. Spine 1993;18:2507–12.Google Scholar
- 8.Balserior J, Brower AC, Ziessman MA. Scintigraphic diagnosis of sacral fractures. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1987;148:111–3.Google Scholar
- 9.Henry AP, Lachmann E, Tunkel RS,et al. Pelvic insufficiency fractures after irradiation: diagnosis, management and rehabilitation. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1996;77:414–6.Google Scholar