Diagnosis of bowel obstruction
- 21 Downloads
The over-all management of bowel obstructions including early diagnosis, has been improved considerably during the past 10 years. Early restoration of fluid and electrolyte losses, blood replacement, antibiotic therapy, early nasogastro-intestinal decompression, and prompt operative intervention (when indicated) have all contributed immeasurably to the reduction of the morbidity and mortality rates. The frequent and careful evaluation of each case plays an important part in arriving at an accurate diagnosis, which aids in the choice between conservative management or surgical intervention.
The various laboratory and roentgenographic studies now employed contribute a great deal toward an early and correct diagnosis. Proper interpretation of these studies, in conjunction with good clinical judgment and experience, will bring about more successful results in the problem of bowel obstruction.
KeywordsPublic Health Mortality Rate Early Diagnosis Antibiotic Therapy Conservative Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baumgartner, C. J. Intestinal obstruction.Bull. Los Angeles Surg. Soc. 1: 24, 1948.Google Scholar
- 2.Berry, E. L. Diagnosis and treatment of acute intestinal obstruction.J.A.M.A. 148: 347, 1952.Google Scholar
- 3.Brindley, G. V. Acute obstruction of the colon (editorial).Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 78: 556, 1944.Google Scholar
- 4.Brunn, H., andLevitin, J. A roentgenological study of intestinal obstruction.Surg. Gynec. & Obst. 70: 914, 1940.Google Scholar
- 5.Bruusgaard, C Volvulus of the sigmoid colon and its treatment.Surgery 22: 466, 1947.Google Scholar
- 6.Cole, W. H. Intestinal obstruction.J. Iowa State M. Soc. 44: 51, 1954.Google Scholar
- 7.Dennis, C. Current procedure in management of obstruction of the small intestine.J.A.M.A. 154: 463, 1954.Google Scholar
- 8.Glenchur, T. C. Treatment of small and large bowel obstructions. Surgical Staff Bull. Vol. 8, No. 6, March, 1955, Veterans Administration Center, Des Moines, Iowa.Google Scholar
- 9.Hendricks, W., andGriffin, W. D. Intestinal obstruction.S. Clin. North America 27: 51, 1947.Google Scholar
- 10.Hunt, C. J. Early manifestations and radiologic indications of small bowel obstruction.South. M. J. 43: 469, 1950.Google Scholar
- 13.Russell, T. H Intestinal obstruction.S. Clin. North America 26: 382, 1946.Google Scholar
- 14.Wangensteen, O. E. Intestinal Obstruction. Springfield, Ill., Thomas, 1942.Google Scholar
- 16.Westly, G. T. Surgical management of lesions of the small bowel. Surg. Staff Bull. Vol. 4, No. 8, 1951, Veterans Administration Center, Des Moines, Iowa.Google Scholar
- 17.Zeitlin, N. S., andMazel., M. S. Intestinal obstruction: Use of flat abdominal films.Radiology 45: 267, 1945.Google Scholar