Effect of hepatic and celiac vagal stimulation on common bile-duct pressure
- 15 Downloads
Bipolar stimulating electrodes were placed on the hepatic and celiac vagi of 6 dogs. The gallbladder was removed and the cystic duct cannulated with an 8 F infant feeding tube, the external end of which was attached to a specially made metal plug. Experiments were then performed on the dogs both when conscious and fasting. No change in common duct pressure was recorded in response to electrical stimulation of these vagal branches in these dogs, as noted in 209 separate stimulations using various combinations of voltage, frequency and duration. Flow rate did not change as noted with a drop counter during stimulations in 11 experiments.
KeywordsPublic Health Electrical Stimulation Cystic Duct Vagal Stimulation Stimulate Electrode
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kirk J: Observations of the histology of the choledocho-duodenal junction and papilla duodeni with particular reference to the ampulla of Vater and sphincter of Oddi. J Anat (London) 78:118, 1944Google Scholar
- 2.Libman LJ, Sutherland SD: The intrinsic innervation of the M. sphincter ampullae. J Anat 100:441, 1966Google Scholar
- 3.Mitchell GAG: Anatomy of the Autonomic Nervous System. Edinburgh, Livingston, 1953Google Scholar
- 4.Stavney LS, Kato T, Griffith GH, et al: A physiologic study of motility changes following selective gastric vagotomy. J Surg Res 3:390, 1963Google Scholar
- 6.Lueth HD: Studies of flow of bile into the duodenum and the existence of the sphincter of Oddi. Amer J Physiol 99:237, 1931Google Scholar
- 7.Johnson FE, Boyden EA: The effect of sectioning various autonomic nerves upon the rate of emptying of the biliary tract in the cat. Surg Gynec Obstet 76:395, 1943Google Scholar
- 9.Ivy AC: The physiology of the gallbladder. Phys Rev 14:1, 1934Google Scholar
- 14.Westphal K: Muskel function nerven systen und pathologie der gellenweg. Ztschr Klin Med 96:22, 1923Google Scholar
- 15.Mallet-Guy P: Treatment of chronic pancreatitis. Amer J Surg 109:759, 1965Google Scholar
- 16.Hess W: Surgery of the Biliary Passages and the Pancreas. New York and London, Von Nostrand, 1966Google Scholar
- 18.Oddi R: D'une disposition a sphincter speciale de l'ouverture du canal cholédoque. Arch Ital Biol 8:317, 1887Google Scholar