Effects of colchicine on intestinal mucosal dehydrogenases
Biochemical studies have shown that antimitotic doses of colchicine (1.5 mg./kg.) produce a decrease in lactic dehydrogenase (LDH) and an increase in lysosomal enzyme activity in mouse intestinal mucosa. Administration of these large doses of colchicine evidently causes cellular death, with inflammatory response.
Small doses of colchicine (0.24 mg./kg.), while decreasing LDH activity in the intestinal mucosa, did not significantly change β-glucuronidase activity and, as verified histologically, did not produce cell destruction, or inflammatory reaction. Puromycin administered to mice did not affect the LDH activity in the intestinal mucosa at 60 hr. after administration. One can therefore presume that the effect of colchicine on LDH activity is not secondary to inhibition of protein synthesis. The inhibitory effect of colchicine on LDH and other enzyme systems may be independent of colchicine action on the mitotic apparatus, and certainly precedes it.
KeywordsEnzyme Protein Synthesis Colchicine Lactic Dehydrogenase Inflammatory Reaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barka, T., andAnderson, P. J. Histochemistry: Theory, Practice, Bibliography. Hoeber, New York, 1963, p. 296.Google Scholar
- 3.Pearse, A. G. E. Histochemistry, Theoretical and Applied (ed. 2). Churchill, London, 908, 1960.Google Scholar
- 4.Duvede, G. “Lysosomes, a New Group of Cytoplasmic Particles.” InSubcellular Particles. Hayashi, T., Ed. Ronald, New York, 1959, p. 128.Google Scholar
- 5.Boyland, E., andBoyland, M. E. Studies in tissue metabolism: The action of colchicine and B. typhosus extract.Biochem. J. 31:454, 1937.Google Scholar
- 6.Hoffert, J. F., andBoutwell, R. K. Puromycin induced glycogenolysis as an event independent from inhibited protein synthesis in mouse liver; Effects of puromycin analogs.Arch. Biochem. & Biophys. 103:338, 1963.Google Scholar
- 8.Berger, L., andBroida, D. “Lactic Dehydrogenase.” InSigma Technical Bull. 500. St. Louis, 1964.Google Scholar
- 9.Fishman, W. H. “β-Glucuronidase.” InMethods of Enzymic Analysis. Bergmeyer, H. U., Ed. Acad. Press, New York, 1963, p. 869.Google Scholar
- 11.Mazia, D. The Cell (Vol. 3). Brachet, J. and Mirsky, A. E., Ed. Acad. Press, New York, 1961, p. 360.Google Scholar