Comparison of histamine and carbachol effect on vitamin B12 absorption in man
- 27 Downloads
The effect of injections of histamine on the absorption of radiocobalamin was studied by means of the Schilling test in 61 patients. Histamine significantly increased the absorption of Vitamin B12 from the gut. The effects of histamine and carbachol were compared in 31 subjects, and both substances were equally effective in increasing Vitamin B12 absorption. The results suggest that in addition to stimulating the secretion of I.F., histamine may increase the absorption of Vitamin B12 by another mechanism not mediated by this factor, such as a direct action on the small bowel.
KeywordsPublic Health Histamine Small Bowel Direct Action Carbachol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chow, B. F. Vitamin B 12 and Aging. Nutrition Symposium (Ser. 9). National Vitamin Foundation, Inc., 1954, p. 59.Google Scholar
- 2.Glass, G. B. J., andCastro-Curel, Z. “Assay of I.F. Activity on Guinea Pig Intestinal Mucosa Homogenate.” InProceedings of the 9th Congress of the European Society of Haematology (Vol. 2). Karger, Basel, 1963, p. 1470.Google Scholar
- 4.Ardeman, S., Chanarin, I., andDoyle, J. C. Studies on secretion of gastric I.F. in man.Brit Med J 2:600, 1964.Google Scholar
- 6.Ardeman, S., andChanarin, I. Stimulation of gastric I.F. secretion.Brit Med J 1:1417, 1965.Google Scholar
- 8.Clark, C. G., June, C. V., Murray, J. G., andStephen, G. O. Mode of action of histamine in causing gastric secretion in man.Gut 5:527, 1964.Google Scholar
- 9.Glass, G. B. J. Gastric I.F. and its function in the metabolism of Vitamin B12.Physiol Rev 43:620, 1963.Google Scholar
- 13.Rødbro, P., andChristiansen, P. M. Quantitative determination of gastric I.F. after large histamine doses in healthy persons.Scand J Clin Lab Invest 19:187, 1967.Google Scholar
- 14.Rødbro P., andChristiansen, P. M. Quantitative estimation of parietal cell secretory function in man.Scand J Gastoent 1:292, 1965.Google Scholar
- 17.Mollin, D. L., andBaker, S. J. The absorption and excretion of Vitamin B12 in man.Biochem Soc Sympos 13:52, 1955.Google Scholar
- 20.Bonnier, G., andTedin, O. Biologisk variation analys. Svenska Bokforlaget, Stockholm, 1940.Google Scholar