Lactic dehydrogenase activity in saliva, bile, gastric and duodenal contents
- 13 Downloads
1. The presence of LDH in saliva, gastric fluid, bile, and duodenal secretion was determined in normal and pathologic states.
2. The level of enzyme activity was significantly influenced by thepH of the medium, the degree of contaminating occult and microscopic blood, and the presence of saliva in the gastric contents.
3. In the two series of patients with carcinoma of the stomach and benign gastric ulcer, respectively, there was too much overlapping for the determination of LDH activity to be of any value in the differential diagnosis of these conditions.
KeywordsPublic Health Enzyme Carcinoma Enzyme Activity Differential Diagnosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wróblewski, F., andLa Due, J. S. Lactic dehydrogenase activity in blood.Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 90:210, 1955.Google Scholar
- 2.Levitan, R., andWróblewski, F. The value of changes in lactic dehydrogenase activity in body fluids in clinical medicine.Harefuah 55:79, 1958.Google Scholar
- 3.White, L. P. Serum enzymes. I. Serum lactic dehydrogenase in myocardial infarction.New England J. Med. 255:984, 1956.Google Scholar
- 4.Hill, B. R. Elevation of a serum component in neoplastic disease.Cancer Res. 14:513, 1954.Google Scholar
- 5.Moore, A. E., andWróblewski, F. Lactic dehydrogenase production in tissue culture of normal, transformed, and malignant cell lives.Proc. Soc. Exper. Biol. & Med. 98:782, 1958.Google Scholar
- 6.Schmidt. InTodd, J. C., andSanford, H. A. Clinical Diagnosis by Laboratory Methods, ed. 9. Philadelphia, Saunders, 1942.Google Scholar
- 7.Althausen, T. L., andCarbone, J. V. The Digestive Tract. InGrollman, A., Ed.Clinical Physiology. The Functional Pathology of Disease. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1957, p. 463.Google Scholar
- 8.Schenker, S. Lactic dehydrogenase activity in gastric juice in the diagnosis of gastric cancer.Am. J. Dig. Dis. 4:412, 1959.Google Scholar
- 9.Haubrich, W. S., andKelly, A. The insignificance of occult blood in gastric analysis.Am. J. Dig. Dis. 4:658, 1959.Google Scholar
- 10.Ham, G. H. A Syllabus of Laboratory Examinations in Clinical Diagnosis. Cambridge, Mass., Harvard University Press, 1950.Google Scholar