The clinical significance of duodenal diverticula
- 15 Downloads
Diverticula of the duodenum are found in about 2% of the population. They are most commonly located on the medial surface of the descending duodenum. A diverticulum may produce symptoms when it retains food or other foreign bodies. It may contain functioning aberrant glandular tissue and be the site of ulceration, perforation, or gangrene. These possibilities must be carefully considered in the examination of a patient who has a duodenal diverticulum and gastrointestinal symptoms which are not otherwise explained.
KeywordsPublic Health Clinical Significance Perforation Foreign Body Gastrointestinal Symptom
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chomel, J. B. Report of a case of duodenal diverticulum containing gall stones.Histoire de l'Academie Royale Des Sciences à Paris. Paris, 1710, pp. 48–50.Google Scholar
- 2.Bremer, J. L. Diverticula and duplications of the intestinal tract.A.M.A. Arch. Path. 38:132, 1944.Google Scholar
- 3.Cunningham, D. J. InText-Book of Anatomy. Ed. by Brasch, J. C., and Jamieson, E. B. Oxford, New York, 1943.Google Scholar
- 4.Perry, E. C., andShaw, L. E. On diseases of the duodenum.Guy's Hosp. Rep. Series 3,50:171, 1894.Google Scholar
- 5.Nagel, G. W. Unusual conditions in the duodenum and their significance: Membranous obstruction of the lumen, diverticula and carcinoma.A.M.A. Arch. Surg. 11:529, 1925.Google Scholar
- 6.Cattell, R. B., andMudge, T. J. The surgical significance of duodenal diverticula.New England J. Med. 246:317, 1952.Google Scholar
- 8.Thorek, M. Duodenal diverticula with ulcer.Illinois M. J. 55:64, 1929.Google Scholar
- 9.Farmer, D. A. Surgical Record of Operation, Case 50072, Mass. Memorial Hospitals, Boston, 1961.Google Scholar
- 10.Ochsner, H. C. The roentgenologic diagnosis of periduodenal and extraduodenal lesions.Am. J. Roentgenol. Series 5,45:718, 1941.Google Scholar
- 11.Robbins, L. L. Discussion, case records of the Mass. General Hospital.New England J. Med. Series 9,262:462, 1960.Google Scholar