The effect of methylprednisolone pulse therapy on methotrexate treatment of rheumatoid arthritis
- 50 Downloads
We randomly assigned 30 active rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients who started oral methotrexate (MTX, 7.5 mg/week) treatment, into 3 groups. Group I received no additional corticosteroids; Group II was treated with 3 oral pulses of 100 mg prednisolone and Group III with 3 intravenous pulses of 1000 mg methylprednisolone (MP) on alternate days during the first week. Parameters of disease activity were measured at the start, after 10 days and at regular intervals up to 1 year. In Group I maximal improvement occurred after 18 weeks and in Group III after 6 weeks. This effect was sustained during the study. The initial effects in Group II were not as strong as in Group III and of shorter duration. No serious side effects were noticed. Our results suggest, that MP-pulse therapy seems to be useful in bridging the gap between the introduction of MTX and the response to this drug. Furthermore, we found that patients who were HLA-DR4-positive showed a better clinical response after 1 year than HLA-DR4-negative patients.
Key wordsCorticosteroid Treatment Intravenous Methylprednisolone Pulses Oral Prednisolone Pulses Methotrexate Rheumatoid Arthritis Disease Activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Weinblatt, M.E., Kaplan, H., Germain, B.F., Merriman, R.C., Solomon, S.D., Wall, B., Anderson, L., Block, S., Small, R., Wolfe, F., Gall, E., Torretti, D., Polisson, R. Methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis: effects on disease activity in a multicenter prospective study. J Rheum 1991, 18, 334–338.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Williams, H.J., Willkens, R.F., Samuelson, C.O. Jr., Alarcón, G.S., Guttadauria, M., Yarboro, Ch., Polisson, R.P., Weiner, S.R., Luggen, M.E., Billingsley, L.M., Dahl, S.L., Egger, M.J., Reading, J.C., Ward, J.R. Comparison of low-dose oral pulse methotrexate and placebo in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. A controlled clinical trial. Arthritis Rheum 1985, 28, 721–730.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Sambrook, P.N., Champion, G.D., Browne, C.D., Cohen, M.L., Compton, P., Day, R.O., Jager, de, J. Comparison of methotrexate with azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine in refractory rheumatoid arthritis: a life-table analysis. Br J Rheum 1986, 25, 372–375.Google Scholar
- 7.Bijlsma, J.W.J., Schenk, Y., Ramselaar, A.C.P., Huber-Bruning, O. Methylprednisolone pulse therapy in conjunction with azathioprine in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheum 1986, 5, 499–504.Google Scholar
- 8.Williams, I.A., Bayliss, E.M., Shipley, M.E. A double-blind placebo-controlled trial of methylprednisolone pulse therapy in active rheumatoid disease. Lancet 1982, ii, 237–240.Google Scholar
- 14.Weinstein, A. Long-term efficacy of methotrexate in rheumatoid arthritis. In: Methotrexate therapy in rheumatic disease. Ed.: Wilke, W.S., New York, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 1989, 91–101.Google Scholar