The occurrence of fibromyalgia-like syndromes in a general female population
- 17 Downloads
In an epidemiological survey of females aged 20–49 years in Arendal, Norway, 217 persons with musculoskeletal pain were examined for the presence of fibromyalgia as defined by the ACR criteria of 1990. Forty females with fibromyalgia were found whereas 129 females had chronic musculoskeletal pain of more than three months duration but failed to meet the criteria. Two females suffered from nonrheumatic disorders which could explain their musculoskeletal pain. Forty-six females had pain of less than three months duration. Somewhat surprising, the presence of tender points and symptoms regarded as typical of fibromyalgia were rather frequently observed among the females who failed to satisfy the ACR 1990 criteria. No other diseases were found which could explain their complaints or clinical findings. The presence of fibromyalgia-like syndromes is suggested, and the classification and nature of such syndromes are discussed.
Key wordsFibromyalgia Epidemiology Pain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Borchgrevink, C.F., Brekke, T.H., Øgar, B. Skjelett/muskelsykdommer i almenpraksis. Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 1980, 7, 439–445.Google Scholar
- 5.Bjelle, A., Mägi, M. Rheumatic disorders in primary care. Scand J Rheumatol 1981, 10, 441–341.Google Scholar
- 6.Kogstad, O., Gudmundsen, J. Rygglidelser. En epidemiologisk undersøkelse, Tidsskr Nor Laegeforen 1978, 98, 1076–1079.Google Scholar
- 7.Jacobsson, L., Lindegärd, F., Manthorpe, R. The commonest rheumatic complaints of over six weeks. Duration in a twelve-month period in a defined Swedish population Scand J Rheumatol 1989, 18, 353–360.Google Scholar
- 10.Hench, P.K. Nonarticular rheumatism, 22 rheumatism review: Review of the American and English literature for the years 1973 and 1974. Arthritis Rheum (Suppl) 1976, 19, 1081–1089.Google Scholar
- 11.Simons, D.G. Special review, muscle pain syndromes. Part I. Am J Phys Med 1975, 54, 189–311.Google Scholar
- 13.Smythe, H.A. Fibrositis as a disorder of pain modulation. Clin Rheum Dis 1979, 5, 823–832.Google Scholar
- 14.Wolfe, F., Smythe, H.A., Yunus, M.B., Bennett, R.M., Rombardier, C., Goldenberg, D.L., Tungwell, P., Campbell, M.S., Akeles, M., Clark, P., Fam, A.G., Farber, S.J., Fiechter, J.J., Franklin, C.M., Gatter, K.A., Hamaty, D., Lesard, J., Lichtenbroun, A.S., Masi, A.T., Mc Cain, G.A., Raymolds, W.J., Romand, T.J., Bursell, Sheon, R.P. The American College of Rheumatology 1990, Criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Arthritis Rheum 1990, 33, 160–172.PubMedGoogle Scholar