Chronic effects of nicotine on gastric secretion in rats with hypothalamic lesions
- 14 Downloads
The gastric secretory response to chronic injections of nicotine (2000 µg base /kg/day for 14 days) was studied in 2-hour pylorus-ligated male Sprague-Dawley rats (256.8±1.3 g). In sham anterior hypothalamic-lesioned animals, nicotine produced an increase in gastric juice volume and in acid and pepsin outputs. After bilateral electrolytic destruction of the anterior hypothalamic area or the rostral portion of the ventromedial nucleus, the response to chronic nicotine administration was abolished. Bilateral electrolytic lesions in the posterior hypothalamus did not block the gastric secretory stimulation produced by nicotine, whereas bilateral abdominal vagotomy did. It is concluded that the gastric secretory stimulation produced by the chronic administration of nicotine is mediated via the anterior hypothalamic area, the ventromedial nucleus in the anterior hypothalamus and the vagus nerves.
KeywordsNicotine Chronic Nicotine Nicotine Administration Posterior Hypothalamus Anterior Hypothalamus
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Thompson JH, Spezia CA, Angulo M: The acute effects of tobacco smoke and nicotine on gastric secretion of acid and pepsin in pylorus-ligated rats. Res Comm Chem Path Pharmacol 1:230–246, 1970Google Scholar
- 2.Thompson JH, Spezia CA, Angulo M: Chronic effects of nicotine on rat gastric secretion. Experientia 26:615–617, 1970Google Scholar
- 4.Brooks FP: Central neural control of acid secretion, chap 45, Alimentary canal, sec 6, Secretion, Vol II, Handbook of Physiology. Edited by CF Code. Washington, DC, American Physiological Society, 1967, pp 805–826Google Scholar
- 5.Thompson JH, George R, Angulo M: Some effects of nicotine on gastric secretion in rats. Proc West Pharmacol Soc 14:173–177, 1971Google Scholar
- 6.Lambert R: Chap 38, Surgery of the Digestive System in the Rat. Springfield, Ill, Charles C Thomas, 1965, pp 477–481Google Scholar
- 12.Misher A, Brooks FP: Inhibition of gastric secretion during electrical stimulation of the ventromedial hypothalamus. Physiologist 7:207, 1964Google Scholar
- 17.Thompson, Aures: Unpublished materialGoogle Scholar
- 20.Doll R: Medical treatment of gastric ulcer. Scott Med J 9:183–196, 1964Google Scholar