Effect of mixed solvent media on the sorption and separation of uranium and plutonium on macroporous resins
Ion-exchange studies on uranium and plutonium using macroporous (MP) anion-exchange resins from an aqueous-organic solvent mixed media were carried out to develop a separation method. Out of the several water miscible organic solvents tried methanol and acetone were found to be best suited. Distribution data were obtained for U(VI) and Pu(IV) using three macroporous resins under various parameters. Based on these data, separation factors for Pu/U were calculated. Column experiments using Tulsion A-27(MP) were also carried out. The method has the advantage of loading plutonium from as low as 1M nitric acid in the presence of methanol or acetone and could be used satisfactorily for its recovery from solutions containing plutonium and uranium.
KeywordsAcetone Uranium Nitric Acid Organic Solvent Plutonium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Korkisch, Progr. Nucl. Energy Ser. IX, Vol. 6,D. C. Stewert andH. A. Elion (Eds), Pergamon Press, 1966, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 2.M. K. Sherief, F. Grass, Atomkemenergie, 17 (1971) 53.Google Scholar
- 3.V. Venkatasubramanian, K. Perumal, N. S. Pillai, S. S. Shinde, Proc. Chem. Symp., Vol. 2, Aligarh Muslim Univ., Dec. 21–23, 1972, p. 221.Google Scholar
- 4.I. A. Lebedev, B. F. Myasoedov, L. I. Guseva, J. Radioanal. Chem., 21 (1974) 259.Google Scholar
- 5.C. Musicas, AEC-tr-7028, Semi Annual Report June-Nov. 1967, p. 147.Google Scholar
- 6.Chen Wenjun, Wang Yunlong, Fu Shibi, J. Nucl. Radiochem., 11 (1989) 136; INIS 22:018542.Google Scholar
- 7.V. N. Haidvogel, G. Reitsamer, F. Grass, Atomkemenergie, 22 (1973) 117 abstract.Google Scholar
- 8.F. W. E. Strelow, Anal. Chim. Acta, 160 (1984) 31; Talanta, 35 (1988) 385.Google Scholar
- 9.J. A. Hayden, Talanta, 14 (1967) 721.Google Scholar
- 10.A. K. De, S. M. Khopkar, R. A. Chalmers, Solvent Extraction of Metals, Van Nostrand, London, 1970, p. 172.Google Scholar
- 11.M. K. Sherief, F. Grass, Atomkemenergie, 17 (1971) 214.Google Scholar
- 12.K. Venugopal Chetty, P. M. Mapara, A. G. Godbole, Rajendra Swarup, Report BARC/1995/E/019.Google Scholar