Dynamics of Mirex and its principal photoproducts in a simulated marsh system
Three simulated marsh systems were constructed, containing sediment, marsh plants, oysters, blue crabs, fiddler crabs, and two species of top minnows. Seawater entered each of the pools by flowing across a trough, two of which contained Mirex bait. Tidal fluctuations were simulated. Samples of water, bait, and animals were periodically analyzed. All animals concentrated Mirex. Three photoproducts accumulated on the bait particles, and both oysters and one species of fish accumulated one of the photoproducts.
KeywordsBlue Crab Marsh Plant Fiddler Crab Mirex Tidal Fluctuation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cripe, C. R.: Dynamics of the pesticide Mirex and its principal photoproducts in a simulated marsh system. M. S. thesis in Biological Sciences, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida (1974).Google Scholar
- Livingston, R. J., C. R. Cripe, C. C. Koenig, F. G. Lewis, III, and B. D. DeGrove: A system for the determination of chronic effects of pollutants on the physiology and behavior of marine organisms. St. University System. Florida Sea Grant Program. Rep. 4. 15 pp (1974).Google Scholar
- Lowe, J. I., P. R. Parrish, A. J. Wilson, Jr., P. D. Wilson, and T. W. Duke: Effects of Mirex on selected estuarine organisms. Transactions of the 36th North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference, March 7–10, 1971. Portland, Oregon. pp. 171–186 (1971).Google Scholar
- Metcalf, R. L., I. P. Kapoor, P. Lu, C. K. Schuth, and P. Sherman: Model ecosystem studies of the environmental fate of six organochlorine pesticides. Environmental Health Perspectives. Exp. Issue. No. 4. pp. 35–44 (1973).Google Scholar
- Naqvi, S. M., and A. A. de la Cruz: Mirex incorporation in the environment: Residues in nontarget organisms—1972. Pesticide Monitoring J.7, 104 (1973).Google Scholar
- Odum, W. E., G. M. Woodwell, and C. F. Wurster: DDT residues absorbed from organic detritus by fiddler crabs. Science.164, 576 (1969).Google Scholar
- Odum, W. E., and E. J. Heald: Trophic analysis of an estuarine mangrove community. Bull. Mar. Sci.22, 671 (1972).Google Scholar
- Osborn, K. W., B. W. Maghan, and S. B. Drummond: Gulf of Mexico shrimp atlas. Bureau of Commercial Fisheries. Circular 312. p. 3 (1969).Google Scholar
- Pritchard, J. D., A. M. Guarino, and W. B. Kinter: Distribution, metabolism, and excretion of DDT and Mirex by a marine teleost, the winter flounder. Environ. Health Perspectives. Exp. Issue. No. 4. pp. 45–54 (1973).Google Scholar
- Tagatz, M. B.: Biology of the blue crabCallinectes sapidus Rathbun, in the St. Johns River, Florida. U. S. Fish Wildl. Fish. Bull.67, 17 (1968).Google Scholar