Occurrence of inducible and NAD(P)-independent primary alcohol dehydrogenases in an alkane-oxidizingPseudomonas
the affinities for the straight-chain primary alcohols increase with increasing chain length (tested up to 1-decanol);
the affinities decrease when polar atoms or groups are introduced into the alcohol molecule;
enzyme preparations as well as intact cells, when provided with a mixture of alcohols, first oxidize the compound with the lowest solubility in water.
These properties can be explained by assuming that hydrophobic bonds are formed between the enzyme and aliphatic parts of the alcohol molecule.
KeywordsOxygen Alcohol Chain Length Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Lower Solubility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anthony, C. andZatman, L. J. 1967. The microbial oxidation of methanol. The prosthetic group of the alcohol dehydrogenase ofPseudomonas sp. M d27: a new oxidoreductase prosthetic group. - Biochem. J.104: 960–969.Google Scholar
- Azoulay, E. andHeydeman, M. T. 1963. Extraction and properties of alcohol dehydrogenase fromPseudomonas aeruginosa. - Biochim. Biophys. Acta73: 1–6.Google Scholar
- Baptist, J. N., Gholson, R. K. andCoon, M. J. 1963. Hydrocarbon oxidation by a bacterial enzyme system. I. Products of octane oxidation. - Biochim. Biophys. Acta69: 40–47.Google Scholar
- Dixon, M. andWebb, E. C. 1964. Enzymes. 2nd ed. p. 75. - Longmans, Green and Co. Ltd. London and Colchester.Google Scholar
- Heydeman, M. T. andAzoulay, E. 1963. Extraction and properties of aldehyde dehydrogenase fromPseudomonas aeruginosa. - Biochim. Biophys. Acta77: 545–553.Google Scholar
- Janota-Bassalik, L. andWright, L. D. 1964. Azelaic acid utilization by aPseudomonas. - J. Gen. Microbiol.36: 405–414.Google Scholar
- van der Linden, A. C. 1967. Dissimilation of 1,6-hexanediol and 1,8-octanediol by a hydrocarbon-oxidizingPseudomonas.- Antonie van Leeuwenhoek33: 386–396.Google Scholar
- Lowry, O. H., Rosebrough, N. J., Farr, L. A. andRandall, R. J. 1951. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. - J. Biol. Chem.193: 265–275.Google Scholar
- Payne, W. J. 1963. Pure culture studies of the degradation of detergent compounds. - Biotechnol. Bioeng.5: 355–365.Google Scholar
- Sund, H. andTheorell, H. 1963. Alcohol dehydrogenases, p. 25–83.In P. D. Boyer, H. Lardy and K. Myrbäck, [eds.]. The Enzymes, 2nd. ed., Vol. 7. - Academic Press, New York and London.Google Scholar
- Thysse, G. J. E. andvan der Linden, A. C. 1958.n-Alkane oxidation by aPseudomonas. Studies on the intermediate metabolism. - Antonie van Leeuwenhoek24: 298–308.Google Scholar