The method of successive extrapolated iterated defect correction and its application to second kind Fredholm's integral equations
- 19 Downloads
We describe an application of the principle of Iterated Defect Correction (IDeC) on the quadrature methods for the numerical solution of Fredholm's integral equations of the second kind. We also derive an asymptotic expansion for the global error in the solution produced by the IDeC method. Applying Richardson extrapolation repeatedly on the IDeC method, we present the technique of Successive Extrapolated Iterated Defect Correction (SEIDeC) and the resulting asymptotic expansion for the global error. Numerical tests confirm the asymptotic results and demonstrate the power of the IDeC method as well as the superiority of our method SEIDeC.
KeywordsIntegral Equation Computational Mathematic Asymptotic Expansion Numerical Test Asymptotic Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Frank,The method of iterated defect correction and its application to two-point boundary value problems, Part I Numer. Math, Vol. 25 (1976), 409–419.Google Scholar
- 2.D. F. Mayers,Quadrature methods for Fredholm equations of the second kind inNumerical Solution of Integral Equations, L. M. Delves and J. Walsh (Eds), Clarendon Press (1974), 64–79.Google Scholar
- 3.A. N. Netravali and R. J. P. de Figueiredo,Spline approximation to the solution of linear Fredholm integral equations of the second kind, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 11 (1974), 538–547.Google Scholar
- 4.B. Noble,The numerical solution of integral equations, inThe State of the Art in Numerical Analysis, D. Jacobs (Ed.), Academic Press (1977), 915–966.Google Scholar
- 5.A. Ralston and P. Rabinowitz,A First Course in Numerical Analysis, Second Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York (1978).Google Scholar
- 6.D. D. Sathiaraj and R. Sankar,The method of successive updated iterated defect correction and its application to second kind Volterra integral equations, BIT 22: 3 (1982), 390–394.Google Scholar
- 7.H. J. Stetter,The defect correction principle and discretization methods, Numer. Math. 29 (1978), 425–443.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Walsh,Quadrature and Fourier series, inNumerical Solution of Integral Equations, L. M. Delves and J. Walsh (Eds), Clarendon Press (1974), 12–22.Google Scholar
- 9.P. E. Zadunaisky,On the estimation of errors propagated in the numerical integration of ordinary differential equations, Numer. Math. 27 (1976), 21–40.Google Scholar