Determination of characteristics of damping capacity for rods formed from several materials oscillating at different amplitudes and frequencies
- 21 Downloads
Results of experimental study of the damping capacity of steel St. 3, glass-cloth-base laminate VFT-S, and beech wood by the method of damping oscillations during the transverse oscillations of cantilevered prismatic specimens within a broad range of stress amplitudes and vibration frequencies are presented. The experiments were conducted on the first three forms of transverse rod oscillations. Variation in vibration frequency was achieved by successive shortening of the specimens. An amplitude dependence of the logarithmic vibration decrement, which was adopted as a characteristic of the damping capacity, was obtained for all materials tested. The influence exerted by vibration frequency on the magnitude of the vibration decrement in the frequency range under consideration is established for specimens formed from the glass-cloth-base laminate VFT-S and beech wood, and is virtually undetected for steel St. 3 specimens. Empirical expressions that make it possible to describe the frequency dependencies of the vibration decrement of the materials under investigation with allowance for stress amplitude are proposed.
KeywordsExperimental Study Frequency Dependency Vibration Frequency Stress Amplitude Empirical Expression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. S. Pisarenko, A. P. Yakovlev, and V. V. Matveev, Vibration-Absorbing Properties of Structural Materials. Handbook [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1971).Google Scholar
- 2.G. S. Pisarenko, V. V. Matveev, and A. P. Yakovlev, Methods of Determining Damping-Capacity Characteristics of Elastic Systems [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1976).Google Scholar
- 3.A. P. Yakovlev, Dissipative Properties of Inhomogeneous Materials and Systems [in Russian], Naukova Dumka, Kiev (1985).Google Scholar
- 4.A. P. Yakovlev, “Effect of vibration form on energy dissipation in material,” in: Proceedings of the Scientific-Technical Conference on Energy Dissipation During Oscillations of Elastic Bodies [in Russian], Izdatel'stvo Akademii Nauk UkrSSR, Kiev (1958), pp. 228–246.Google Scholar
- 5.G. Korn and T. Korn, Mathematics Handbook for Scientific Workers and Engineers [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1973).Google Scholar