Platelet activating factor treatment of spermatozoa enhances rabbit oocyte fertilization following subzonal sperm insertion
- 21 Downloads
The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of spermatozoal platelet activating factor (PAF) treatment on fertilization rates employing subzonal sperm insertion in the rabbit.
Oocytes (n=130) with distinct first polar bodies were injected with three to seven motile spermatozoa. Half (n=65) of the oocytes were injected with PAF-treated sperm, whereas the other half (n=65) served as controls and were injected with nontreated sperm. Fertilization rates were assessed by the formation of two pronuclei followed by cleavage to the two-cell stage.
In the group of oocytes injected with PAF-treated sperm, we noted a significant (P<0.001) improvement in fertilization rates, 61.5% (40/65), vs. control nontreated sperm, 20.0% (13/65). Subsequent cleavage to the two-cell stage was noted for 95% (38/40) in the treated vs 92.3% (12/13) in the nontreated fertilized zygotes.
We conclude that PAF treatment of rabbit spermatozoa prior to subzonal insertion improves fertilization rates and may be of clinical significance in assisted reproductive programs.
Key wordsplatelet activating factor spermatozoa subzonal insertion fertilization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Minhas BS: Platelet activating factor and its role in mammalian fertilization.In Advances in Physiological Sciences, SK Manchanda, W Selvamurthy, V Mohan Kumar (eds). New Delhi, Macmillan Press, 1992, pp 472–482Google Scholar
- 14.Angle MJ, Librach CL, Tom R, McClure D: The effect of platelet activating factor on sperm-mucus interaction.In Proceedings of the Forty-Fifth Annual Meeting of the American Fertility Society, San Francisco, CA, Nov 13–16, 1989, p S98 (abstr P-091)Google Scholar
- 20.Oehninger S, Sueldo C, Burkman LJ, Mahoney M, Alexander NJ: Effect of progesterone on human sperm functions: hyperactivated motility, acrosome reaction, zona pellucida binding and oocyte penetration. 48th Annual Meeting, American Fertility Society, New Orleans, LA, Nov 2–5, 1992, p S181 (abstr P266)Google Scholar
- 21.Minhas BS, Zhu YP, Kim HN, Ripps BA, Buster JE: Platelet activating factor content and release from rabbit spermatozoa is stimulated by progesterone treatment. 40th Annual Meeting, Society for Gynecologic Investigation, Toronto, Canada, Mar 31–Apr 3, 1993, p 357 (abstr P349)Google Scholar
- 22.Ripps BA, Zhu YP, Kim HN, Buster JE, Carson SA, Minhas BS: Progesterone treatment stimulates human spermatozoal platelet activating factor. American Fertility Society conjointly with the Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society, Montreal, Canada, Oct 11–14, 1993, p S77 (abstr 0159)Google Scholar
- 24.Minhas BS: Platelet activating factor treatment of spermatozoa does not impair embryonic development in vitro or in vivo. Mol Androl 1992;3:1–7Google Scholar