The effect of tiamulin administered by different routes and at different ages to turkeys receiving monensin in their feed
- 35 Downloads
Healthy turkeys receiving 80 ppm monensin in their feed were injected at 26, 40 and 61 days of age with tiamulin at dosages of 12.5 and 25 mg/kg body weight. The aim of the study was to develop a regime for medicating with tiamulin turkeys receiving monensin in their feed, and which would circumvent the known toxicity created by the simultaneous administration of the two drugs. One injection of 12.5 mg/kg tiamulin up to the age of 61 days or 2 injections of 12.5 mg/kg tiamulin up to 40 days of age caused no mortality or adverse reaction.
KeywordsPublic Health Body Weight Adverse Reaction Veterinary Medicine Monensin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bottino, J. A., Hipolito, O., Razende, M., Zanetti, J. S., Guerrero, R. and Szanto, J., 1978. Efficacy of dynamutilin in the treatment of airsacculitis caused byMycoplasma gallisepticum in chickens in Brazil. Proc. World Poultry Congress, BrazilGoogle Scholar
- Frigg, M., 1979. Comparative study on the effect of tiamulin in chicks receiving feed containing either lasalocid or monensin. Research Disclosure, Hoffman-La Roche, Basle, Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Laber, G. and Schütze, E., 1975. In vivo efficacy of tiamulin hydrogen fumarate, a new pleuromutilin derivative, against experimentally induced airsacculitis in chicks. Antimicrob. Agents and Chemother. 7: 517–520.Google Scholar
- Laber, G. and Schütze, E., 1979. Tiamulin — ein neues Antibiotikum beim Geflügel. Wien. Tierarztl. Mschr., 66: 111–116.Google Scholar
- Meingassner, J. G., Schmook, F. P., Czok, R. and Mieth, H., 1979. Enhancement of the anticoccidial activity of polyether antibiotics in chickens by tiamulin. Poultry Sci., 58: 308–313.Google Scholar
- Stipkovits, L., Laber, G. and Schutze, E., 1977. Prophylactic and therapeutic efficacy of tiamulin in mycoplasmosis in chickens and turkeys. Poultry Sci., 56: 1209–1215.Google Scholar
- Weisman, Y., Shlosberg, A. and Egyed, M. N., 1980. Acute poisoning in turkeys caused by incompatibility of monensin and tiamulin. Vet. Res. Comm., 4: 231–235.Google Scholar