Ultrastructure of endometrial epithelial cells in a three-dimensional cell culture system for human implantation studies
- 59 Downloads
A three-dimensional cell culture system imitating normal uterine endometrium has previously been established. To what degree do cultured epithelial cells retain their morphological characteristics as compared to in vivomaterial obtained simultaneously from the same tissue donor.
We found a high degree of similarity between the in vivoand in vitrosituations. The present culture system furthermore imitates the day-to-day morphology of the cycle.
This indicates, that a correct timing of the biopsy tissue is important for future human implantation studies.
Key Wordscells cultured endometrium human in vitro ultrastructure, implantation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Gwatkin RBL: Amino acid requirements for attachment and outgrowth of the mouse blastocyst in vitro. J Cell Physiol 1966;68:335–344Google Scholar
- 5.Jenkinson EJ: The in vitro blastocyst outgrowth system as a model for the analysis of peri-implantation development.In Development in Mammals, MH Johnson (ed). North-Holland 1977, Vol 2, pp 151–172Google Scholar
- 6.Lindenberg S, Nielsen MN, Lenz S: In vitro studies of human blastocyst implantation. Ann NY Acad Sci 1985;42:368–374Google Scholar
- 14.Dockery P, Rogers AW: The effects of steroids on the fine structure of the endometrium. Baillière's Clin Obstet Gynaecol 1989;3:227–248Google Scholar
- 15.Wynn RM, Harris JA: Ultrastructural cyclic changes in the human endometrium. Fertil Steril 1976;18:632–648Google Scholar
- 16.Karnovsky MJ: A formaldehyde-glutar-aldehyde fixative of high osmolarity for use in electron microscopy. J Cell Biol 1965;27:137AGoogle Scholar
- 17.Colville EA: The ultrastructure of the human endometrium. J Obstet Gynaec Br Cwlth 1968;75:342–350Google Scholar
- 19.Gordon M: Cyclic changes in the fine structure of the epithelial cells of human endometrium. Int Rev Cyt 1974;42:127–172Google Scholar
- 20.Nilsson O: Electron microscopy of the glandular epithelium in the human uterus. II. Early and late luteal phase. J Ultrastruc Res 1962;6:422–431Google Scholar
- 21.Nilsson P, Nygren KG: Scanning electron microscopy of human endometrium. Uppsala J Med Sci 1972;77:3–7Google Scholar
- 22.Wynn RM: Histology and ultrastructure of the human endometrium.In Biology of the Uterus. RM Wynn (ed). New York, Plenum Press, 1977, pp 341–376Google Scholar
- 25.Spornitz UM: The Functional Morphology of the Human Endometrium and Decidua. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1992Google Scholar
- 29.McLaren A, Michie D: Studies on the transfer of fertilized mouse eggs to uterine foster-mothers. I. Factors affecting the implantation and survival of native and transferred eggs. J Exp Biol 1956;33:394–416Google Scholar
- 31.Davis OK, Rozenwaks Z: Preparation of the endometrium for oocyte donation. J Assist Reprod Gen 1993;10:457–59Google Scholar