Energy method of longevity calculation under an irregular loading. Report 2. Longevity under programmed block loading
A method of calculating longevity to macrocrack development under a programmed loading in the form of a block repeated many times to failure is proposed. Relationships are derived for calculation of longevity under blocks with stepwise variation in stress amplitude, and also blocks assigned by the probability-distribution density of the stress amplitudes and tables of the differential frequency of repetition of peak and average stresses. Consideration of variation in the material's endurance limit under an irregular cyclic loading is demonstrated. It is shown that a specific type of relationships can be derived for the material under investigation with allowance for its kinetic cyclic-strain diagrams. An example of the longevity calculation, which is compared with experimental data for the block loading of steel 40Kh specimens, is cited.
KeywordsExperimental Data Average Stress Cyclic Loading Stress Amplitude Energy Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. A. Golubev, “Mechanical fatigue in the static aspect,” Accumulation of Fatigue Damage in Steel 20Kh Under Programmed Loading [in Russian], Nauka, Moscow (1969), pp. 92–96.Google Scholar
- 2.P. A. Fomichev, “Problems of the mechanics of deformable solids,” Dependence of Longevity on Order of load Application During Block Loading [in Russian], No. 3, Khar'kovskii Aviatsionnyi Institut, Khar'kov (1982), pp. 145–149.Google Scholar
- 3.P. A. Fomichev and I. Yu. Trubchanin, “Variation in plastic-strain amplitude under the regular and programmed soft loading of steels,” Probl. Prochn., No. 2, 39–44 (1991).Google Scholar
- 4.P. A. Fomichev, “Energy method of longevity calculation under an irregular loading. Report 1. Consideration of loading sequence,” Probl. Prochn., No. 7, 3–12 (1995).Google Scholar
- 5.V. P. Kogaev, Strength Calculations for Time-Dependent Stresses [in Russian], Mashinostroenie, Moscow (1977).Google Scholar
- 6.V. Kliman, “Fatigue life prediction for a material under programmable loading using the cyclic stress-strain properties,” Mater. Sci. Eng.,68, 1–10 (1984).Google Scholar
- 7.V. T. Troshchenko and P. A. Fomichev, “Energy criterion of fatigue failure,” Probl. Prochn., No. 1, 3–10 (1993).Google Scholar
- 8.G. G. Corten and T. D. Dolan, “Metal fatigue,” Summation of Fatigue Damage [Russian translation], Izdatel'stvo Inostrannoi Literatury, Moscow (1961), pp. 267–285.Google Scholar